Monday, April 16, 2012

Dreamers know sometimes wishes are horses

You know the saying.

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

Well, this dreamer is riding.

Exactly six months ago, Rachel moved out.  It wasn't a nice move.  It wasn't an easy move.

I was pregnant and having her leave so abruptly on such bad terms to go live with her boyfriend really hurt my feelings.  And I didn't know how our relationship would ever recover.  There were plenty more hurts along the way.  She ignored my Thanksgiving calls and texts.  She wasn't in touch for Christmas while I was on bed rest.  She ignored my congrats over her graduation and we weren't invited.  And she never contacted me when I had Kenna.

I often wondered how we could ever repair that damage.  The truth is...love finds a way.

I heard she was having some problems and I did what mothers do.  I reached out.  I knew that stubborn teenage pride would prevent her from contacting me.  And so I contacted her.  A door that was once closed, locked, and nailed shut...opened.

We have been talking daily since by text and on the phone.  The closeness we always shared didn't die.  It didn't even fade.  It's more patina now.

We're making plans to all get together, to mend broken bonds between Rachel and step-Sam.  He took this just as hard as I did.  He and Rachel had a great relationship...the closeness I had always hoped she'd have with her own father.  They talked and joked around.  He took her job hunting, helped her return applications and brought her to interviews.  He would pick her up from school and bring her to the doctor.  He was the best extension of me.  And together, they would do really sweet things for me...like make dinner, plan surprise parties, and buy me presents.

I've missed our family.  Sure, Keenan has been more outgoing without Rachel around.  At the same time, I need all my children with me.  To say that I'm thrilled to have her in our life again would be a gross understatement.  We're all going to benefit from this.  Rachel needs her mom.  She even needs step-Sam.  Kenna, she will have a big sister and a big brother.  And Keenan won't be stuck in the middle...not that he ever seems impacted by tension.

This dreamer is riding high and riding happy.  Life is good.

3 comments:

  1. YAY! I've been waiting to see this for so, so long! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! I'm so excited to hear this!

    Love finds a way. I like that. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope all of this will work out well and your family will stay together.

    ReplyDelete