Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It's never dull


The dock master, Matt, has a saying. "If nothing happens, it means you never left the dock." He couldn't be more right.

Every time we've gone out sailing, we've had an experience and a half. We were trapped in Charleston after our first sailing venture. We crashed while docking on our second sailing experience. Ah, but de-masting on our third trip was the cherry on top.

So, Linz was trapped below deck with no air or fans in sweltering heat. Jonathon was working to secure the mast. And while he was great, I was slightly frustrated that he couldn't seem to delegate more. I'm very competent.

We were on the radio with the Coast Guard within minutes of dropping anchor. After a quick assessment of the situation, we discovered that our motor was useless, given the lines in the water and the likelihood that they would end up entwined in the prop. I needed another expense at that moment like I needed another hole in the head.

Soon they had patched us through to BoatUSA. I had signed up for a free membership without really understanding what it was because...hey, we owned a boat and it was free! Turns out the membership entitled us a discount on towing. Very nice. Unfortunately, the one towboat was already helping someone else: Stephen Colbert. If only I were a bigger celebrity.

Instead, we waited while being circled by the Charleston Police boat and another tow boat. It's a good thing they were there. The other tow company had our GPS coordinates and relayed them to our company. And the police ended up helping us out...twice.

The first time, Sam had decided to jump in the water to help Jonathon with the mast, but as the boat drifted he was left far behind. The police brought him back. I figured that would be a humbling experience.

The second time, Jonathon had our radio clipped to his life vest, leaned over the side of the boat, and it promptly dropped into the channel. Without hesitation, he dove in after it.

me: Great. No radio and no Jonathon.

Ah, but the police brought him back to us. Not before we started getting towed, however. And not before I managed to get injured.

Pulling up anchor is challenging in the best of circumstances. With ours...bumpy channel, winds, and lack of control...it was nearly impossible. Sam started pulling the anchor up, but as the boat shifted and we lost the slack in the rope, it tightened over my calf, rubbing the skin. It didn't hurt as much at the time as it was scary. I didn't know where I was going to get pinned or how badly I was going to get hurt. I finally managed to slide my leg out from under the rope. And the very next time with Lindsay's help, the three of us managed to haul in the anchor.

So we were getting towed back to the marina. And the ride gave us a chance to take some pictures and look around, enjoy the scenery, even if it was a bit Rime of the Ancient Mariner. "Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink."

Some porpoises decided to swim by us while we were getting towed. I loved that part. And there were three men waiting to help us dock in Day Dock, since there was no way for us to get back to our slip. Matt, of course, was one of them. I yelled to him as we drew nearer.

me: Matt, I love making an entrance.

He laughed.

We had made it back to the marina. Oh, but the adventure wasn't over yet. Come back tomorrow to find out about life on Day Dock.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes (again) - that all sounds terribly scary. Well, except for the porpoises, which sound terribly cool. I hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep telling you the porpoises were laughing at you and doing a porpoise dance!

    ReplyDelete