Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Life on day dock


Well, it wasn't home, but it was close. It was easier to park there. We had a slip all to ourselves. And the view was spectacular.

We were closer to the bathroom, shower, marina store, and deck. I joked that I hadn't done this on purpose just to get a prime spot in the marina. And I was full of apologies for Matt, the dock master.

Matt: Are you kidding me? You two are some of the nicest people I've ever worked with.

Awww. That was really nice.

And I have to tell you, boat people are some of the nicest people I've ever known, too. See, they all stick together and help each other out. Sure there was some standard gawking, but mostly people were just trying to understand what happened. So were we.

All I know for sure is that within two hours of making it to the marina everything was settled and planned and organized. The people docked next to us managed to help us get hooked back in to shore power so that Sam could recover from being over heated. With the fans and air conditioner running, it was much more comfortable below deck.

Bud, who had been with us on our past two sailing excursions acting as our sailing instructor showed up with help. He brought Jonathon's cousin and neighbor to help us life the mast and secure it to the boat while removing the genoa from the job roller and the main. It was no simple task and we appreciated the assistance.

Another boating couple stopped by. They gave us the names and numbers of two businesses we needed: The Boatyard and Quantum. The Boatyard would come and tow our boat to their repair shop where they would first give an estimate and then complete the work. And Quantum could repair the rips to our main.

I felt better having a plan. I felt better knowing what to do. I felt better having so much support. No wonder I love the boating life. It has become a home away from home.

3 comments:

  1. girl! Ya'll are brave. So now you know another thing to check before you take off right? haha It's all a learning experiance. I think I'd want a speed boat after that. Of course I've never been on a sail boat so it's not in my blood like it is in yours.

    Hope the repairs don't kill your budget.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get the repairs done quickly. Too much nice weather to be wasting at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jackie...Sam and I are used to speed boats, too. That's part of what made it so fun. And there's something so classy and majestic about sailboats. Ahhh. I really do love it.

    @Rebecca...I know! Today would have been a great sailing day. Fingers crossed. We don't even have the estimate yet.

    ReplyDelete