Wednesday, July 20, 2011

On living the dream


Keeping my word feels good.

When I finished all the SEO articles the other day, it was as if a huge weight had been lifted off me. Yay! And when I submitted my latest article to Yahoo! just like I said I was going to, that felt great, too.

So Sam, my eternal nudger, came home after I hit the submit button.

me: I did it. I wrote the post, just like i said I was going to.

Sam: Just one? You'll make even more money if you write say...ten a day.

This is true. I get paid per post from Yahoo!. And I get bonuses based on views, which is why I am involved in shameless self-promotion all the time. Be patient with me people, it's my livelihood here.

At the same time, I realized...I'm a writer. I always said I wanted to be a writer when I grew up and now here I am doing it. I get paid to write. That makes me a writer. And I'm so very thrilled that I get to live my dream.

And with all the twists and turns my life takes, I also get to readjust my dream all the time. Like, we know we are going to have to sell the boat. Sam has made a lot of valid points. Still, I'll always treasure the time we had on it. It nourished my soul. There are happy memories. There was excitement. We made new friends. We shared with friends we've known forever.

My life never turns out as planned or expected, yet still I plan and prepare. I have backup plans, good ones. And one plan has held true: one day will will have a beach house on blue water. And I truly believe that with our combined efforts, it's all possible.

Never stop dreaming. And take time to recognize your achievements. It will spur you on to dream bigger. Build upon your successes and see where life can lead you. It's going to be a very big adventure.

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck! Maybe I too will one day be a paid writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The exact words I need to see today. I have to do this. My words must pay the bills by my birthday. That's my goal. Does it seem reasonable to go from $0 to $900 in a few months?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith, it can be done. Just have to prioritize and figure out what to concentrate on. I would love to know more about your freelance business. I'm constantly trying to build mine. Really think we should compare notes.

    ReplyDelete