Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dreamers have a sense of humor


We have to. There are times that life seems like it's playing tricks on us, so we might as well laugh about it. That's the best way to handle things.

And I know how to handle the people in my life. Or...I'm getting better at it. I've had so much practice.

I didn't let my ex goad me into a fight the other day. I was pretty proud of that. And I didn't get upset with Rachel even when she was being cranky. I laughed it off. And I didn't even get upset with Sam when he was working on the bathroom remodel while I worked on the computer yesterday.

He ran an errand and I was supposed to get the vanity cleaned out. It's the last original piece of the bathroom and it has got to go. The new tub will be in on Tuesday and the tiling will start after that. Once that's done, Sam will hook up the new vanity and toilet and the bathroom will be open for business. Seems simple enough, right?

Well, I managed to get a little distracted while he was gone. I was invited to Google+ and so I had to get that going. And I was called by the computer guru about some of work we have going on. And Pippi and I tried to Hangout on Google, but she couldn't hear me and she called instead.

So, I may have forgotten about the vanity. Oops.

I'm sitting on the couch which faces down the hall, and the hall bathroom where Sam is working. And suddenly I see things flying from the room being pitched into the hall. And he's not doing this quietly. He's muttering and commenting as each item is ejected from the room.

I could have been upset that he didn't wait for me or ask me to help. I could have taken it personally, felt all attacked. Instead, I had to laugh.

Sam: What? We need two of these?

And I started giggling, realizing that he was talking about cleaners that I had stocked up on.

Sam: What is this? A hand soap?

His hand is thrust out into the hall as he holds the hand soap for my viewing.

Sam: I bet you didn't even know you had this.

me: Nope.

And I couldn't stop giggling. The hall was completely covered in towels and cleaners and all manner of debris. My children have this charming habit of leaving empty containers around. So think empty deodorants, used up toothpaste tubes, and an array of old toothbrushes.

He vacated the area, so I hauled in a couple of empty boxes to commence sorting. It was all done in a matter of minutes. And when I was finished I walked outside to throw things away. Sam was outside when I finished throwing the garbage out. I was feeling particularly playful, so I dropped to my knees before him.

me: Oh, mighty remodeler. I have finished with my task. May I once again bask in the warmth of your presence.

I started giggling.

Sam: Yeah. You can bask.

A sense of humor. That's how we hold it together.

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I can TOTALLY imagine a grumpy Sam ejecting bathroom detritus while muttering under his breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so much funnier in person. And I had to keep the ending G-rated, but you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking that it quite possibly wasn't G rated implied. Good for you with keeping it together.

    ReplyDelete