Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Dreamers recognize a kickstart


Admittedly when Sam gave me the opportunity to quit my job, I didn't hesitate. I jumped right in with both feet, pretty much the same way I do everything. I'm a big believer in 'Leap and the net will appear.'

So, I turned in my two weeks notice, pretty much before we really discussed some of the logistics. I didn't walk into it completely blind. I think our conversation went something like this.

Sam: How much money do you need to earn a month to pay your bills?

Now that's kind of vague. So, I answered the best I could, taking into account the insurance and credit card bill, that kind of thing. It was a manageable number.

Sam: Are you earning that yet with your writing?

me: Yup.

And we both breathed a sigh of relief. And I quit my job. And he added me to his accounts. And I didn't start touching them until last week...mostly business related purchases...a little gas for my vehicle...some groceries for the house.

Last night, my errands earned me a lecture.

Sam: We need to talk about your spending habit?

me: I have a spending habit?

Sam: You spend a lot more money now.

It's true and it's not. Part of it is that he never knew how much I was spending on groceries because I bought them from my account. The other part is that I am filling the tank now instead of only putting $20 in at a time. In my defense, he told me to. He hates getting into my vehicle and always finding it on empty.

By the end of the discussion, it was determined that I needed to earn more money, contribute more because he's concerned about winter. There's more involved, of course, but I don't have the time to get into it now.

All I can tell you is that it ended my night in a funk and a panic as I calculated all the things that I would need to have, that the kids would need. It seemed hopeless. It seemed like I should give up my dream and hurry up and find another dead end job. I was quiet. That's me in a panic. I turn introspective.

Sam: Baby, I can see you worrying about getting a job. Don't. You can do this.

But for some reason, I had lost faith.

We went to bed last night and he held me, same as always, only better. He waited to see how I would be comfortable and melded to me. It was lovely.

Somehow, I woke up this morning with an epiphany. He was right. I already had everything in place to do this. And I was as excited and giddy as Twix, the neighbor's puppy, while I waited for him to wake up so I could share.

me: Thank you.

And I planted a kiss on that spot that my head fits perfectly in on the center of his chest as I hugged him close.

Sam: Why are you thanking me?

me: You did it again. You gave me that nudge I needed to make a change. You always know how to push me before I get too comfortable. I've got a plan. I figured it out. I can keep my dream and make the money.

I really have. And I really was getting too comfortable. And I really do appreciate him.

Sometimes dreamers just need that extra push...

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad he talked you out of looking for a dead-end job. You're doing this, and you're making it work, and it really won't take much for you to cover those costs and padding the accounts for winter. You can do this. You are awesome. Some days are harder than others for me, but then there are the days when I think of you and remember that it can be done. If I hadn't been so enveloped in family drama, financial drama, and health drama, I would have called you and talked to you about some renewed sense of hope I have towards my own business. Unfortunately, I have a bad habit of walling myself in and hiding when I'm in a bad funk. So please don't give up. You've got cheerleaders all over rooting you on. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got this, Meredith. I have such high hopes at the moment. Still, I really think we should commiserate on the phone. Now that I have more freedoms during the day, we have to catch up and keep rooting each other on.

    Thanks for saying I inspire you, but I couldn't do it without all the love and support I get.

    Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete