Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Staying connected


I was told there was a danger, when I began working from home, that I would lose touch with people. I was warned that I could become trapped in the house and never interact. It was suggested that I would be sad and lonely.

Me? Sad and lonely? Right.

To date, I have been inundated with people during the day. I have been connecting with the neighbors. Laura and I get together in the morning regularly, even if just to touch base for a few moments. And Priscilla and I talk whenever she is out. With two kids and third on the way, that doesn't happen so much. Then there's Sharon. She passes by on her daily walks. It was doctor ordered, but it still makes me feel guilty. Thanks, Sharon.

Now that we are working on a remodeling project, I'm never bored. I'm never not interacting with people. In fact sometimes, I'd like a little less interaction, please. I'd like a moment of quiet, please. I vant to be alone...please.

Yes, I am busy...with a capital B. No, make it all caps. I am that busy. And I struggle to get ahead with my writing. And I struggle to take care of everything around the house. And as much as I accomplish on a daily basis, it never quite feels like enough. Until I'm pulling in some big bucks, it won't be enough.

As for connecting, I think about the realization that Sam came to recently.

Sam: I think as you get older, you only have a few good friends. You have your family. You have neighbors. And you have your significant other. And your significant other gets most of your time.

It wasn't a jab. I do get most of his time. Ah, but I deserve it. I give him most of mine. And that's why I'm still puttering along towards completion on my latest novel. Dammit.

Longer hours. That's what it's going to take. Longer hours and resisting the urge to interact with the world. Now, I'm not suggesting I'm going to lock myself in a room with a computer and pull a Howard Hughes. Nor am I going to chain myself to a desk. It simply isn't feasible. Still, I have to develop a better plan for getting things done.

Not answering the door or phone. That could work. Or course the person blowing up my phone the most throughout the day is the same one who's paying me. And he's paying me to be accessible.

For now, I'll just keep plugging away. I'll keep blogging. I'll keep in touch with those I love. PS. Clearly, I love all of you...

No comments:

Post a Comment