Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dreamers make tough choices


Well, it's no secret that our sailing dreams have not exactly gone as planned. It didn't surprise me. Our life is like that.

Originally, we bought the sailboat thinking that it would be our home away from home. We had plans to work from it and travel with it. We were going to sail the Caribbean on the off months. It was all figured out.

All we had do was install some electronics and learn how to sail the boat. It seemed simple enough. And goodness knows we're not afraid of hard work. How difficult could it be?

After three sailing lessons, we have our answer. It's stupid challenging.

And since our third lesson was the biggest catastrophe to date, we have decided to roll up our sails for good.

Sam: I think it's a sign. I mean, Nicki, we lost our whole mast! We could have been killed.

me: You have a point.

He really does.

Sam: If we want to go to the Caribbean, we can fly or take a cruise.

me: Talk to me, baby.

So, we're getting the boat repaired. And then we're selling it. There was a lot more to the conversation. Sam can't get injured every time we go on vacation. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing. So far, sailing, not so much. And we agreed that what we loved most about the boat was that it was our weekend cottage.

We'll have another weekend cottage some day. For now, we need to work on the house and building the business, and giving me time to write. We'll dream some new dreams...

4 comments:

  1. Good Idea! I too want to go on a cruise and soon. Hope you are able to make some money off the selling of the boat to compensate for the repair costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet. Fingers crossed. We need this boat to sell to recoup some of the remodeling we're doing. At the rate things are going I'm going to have to rethink my stance on working at Hooters. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. That's disappointing. But better to find out now, huh?

    Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, considering how dangerous the whole escapade was in the end, I'm relieved you're hanging up your sailing gloves for now. I have no doubt you will soon be dreaming a beautiful new dream.

    ReplyDelete