Monday, July 11, 2011

Dreamers have vision


That's right. And I spend a lot of time using that to envision the life we're building.

Sometimes, the envisioning is easy. I can totally picture the new bathroom. And I'm ridiculously excited about it. I know it may seem silly, but we've been sharing our bathroom with the kids for at least a year now. It's too much. I have to orchestrate showers and bathroom time with military precision or our little house of cards comes crumbling down.

Sometimes the envisioning is more challenging. I'm having trouble envisioning the completed wall and flower bed. We have ground paint outlining the driveway so that's all under control. And this wall is so much work. I now know more about building a retaining wall than I ever hoped to know. I know how far to lay the foundation below the frost line. I know how thick the foundation should be. And I have a good idea about how wide the project will be. (There are conflicting options.)

I know that special consideration needs to be made for drainage. I know what a French drain is. Oui, oui! I have a complex understanding of why the wall must be built the way it's being built. I think.

It will look amazing when it is done. I know this. I also know that if it doesn't get done soon, I'm going to lose it. These projects tend to be all consuming for me. Not by choice, mind you, but by design. I'm the one who's here. I'm the one who has to meet a gajillion contractors a day. I'm the one who has to field phone calls and respond to emails. It's a big job. It's a time consuming job. It can suck up an entire day. Trust me. It already has.

So, I can only imagine how much of a distraction the actual construction will be. I'm never going to accomplish anything at this rate. Nope.

I say this and yet I have been productive. I simply haven't been productive for me. I will be, though. Maybe if I simply envision my novels being completed they will be. (Yeah, I've resorted to manifesting instead of doing. Epic fail?)

The ten year plan is well under way. The projects are slowly getting checked off. And it's so exciting to finally be working on the house again after such a long hiatus.

Time to envision all of our dreams coming true...

No comments:

Post a Comment