Thursday, July 21, 2011

The impatient remodeler


That's what I called Sam yesterday. It's a nickname he's earned over a few days. And you will soon see why.

First of all, this bathroom remodel began as a big dream. We talked about what we wanted to do. We knew we needed to have it done by the time the kids started school again so that they would have their own bathroom. We have been struggling to share one bathroom with all the conflicting schedules. It's worse because the one bathroom is in the master bedroom.

So, then we managed to get a really good deal on a new power tool: the air chisel. And Sam was off and running because he just had to try it out. When I did my hall bath, the identical floor plan, it took me DAYS of chiseling and snorting dust. Sam had ours out in just a couple of hours. I even helped some. And one afternoon, Rachel's boyfriend, Austin took it for a test drive. We maybe should have given him more instructions on account of he about chiseled to the dirt under the slab. Oops.

And then we bought materials and started checking out the rates for the tiling and plumbing that we couldn't do. Well, even though everyone claimed they could be ready to start on Monday, the tub, which was the first thing that had to be installed, didn't get in until yesterday. Oh, but it's pretty. And so worth it.

Thursday was the day that Sam had to replace the electrical outlet with a GFI and the light switches to black so that everything matched and looked good with the oil rubbed bronze. It does! And then he had to pour cement into the hole that was left from the plumbing installation.

So today is install the floor today, which will culminate in Sam's installation of the vanity. And this is where the impatience part comes in. We went to the movies Wednesday night. Afterwards, we ended up staying up waaaaay too late.

Sam had to find out what the top would look like on the vanity. And he had to put the handles on the vanity. And then he had to make the drawers all level and even and spent a good half hour adjusting them. Oh, but to top it off, he had to try out the new faucet. It looked great. But the problem is that it all needed to be undone before it could be installed anyway.

What's the point of doing everything twice? I couldn't figure it out. Oh, but he had to see what it all looked like.

It reminded me of the year that my mother bought me a Cabbage Patch Kid for my birthday. Then she hid it and forgot that it was in the basement closet when she asked me to get her something out of there. I spent six months, no lie, visiting that doll every day. I even became very bold and would unwrap its packaging, take it out, and hold it before I would secure it again, and put it away for the next afternoon while mom was at work.

That whole deal was a lot of work. And I can't keep assembling and disassembling the bathroom. By Thursday the bathroom should be done. Fingers crossed. Maybe we're both a little impatient.

No comments:

Post a Comment