Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dreamers thrive in upheaval


Or we try really hard.

As I type this, the office...no, the entire house has filled with a dusty haze from the air chisel in the bathroom. If I'm hating it, you know that Sam is. He's the one who's hair follicles deep in the remodel while I try to run the business.

Yes, he was able to send the guys off to complete a job today that was so minuscule, he was able to work on an estimate, meet with a salesman for one of the companies he works for, and put in some time remodeling the bathroom all from the comfort of our home.

The house, which he likes kept reasonably neat, has been throw into a complete and utter state of demolition and clutter. The living room has the bathroom door and all the new fixtures, along with some bathroom odds and ends all stacked against one wall. There is an enormous trash can taking up half our hall all the time, adding that little something extra to the long walk to our only functioning bathroom. And the garage...well, we have a walkway that is so narrow even Bishop struggles at the moment. That's because our new vanity, counter, and tub are in it, long with some leftover materials.

I have to tell you, I'm really proud of Sam at the moment. He likes things nice and neat. When we were working on scraping the ceilings in the house a few years back, he had to have the house reassembled every day. After putting in a ten hour day scraping, mudding, and sanding, we would clean up, vacuum, and put all the furniture back where it belonged...even if only for the six to eight hours we slept.


This time, he has learned to accept the mess. I dusted the entire house this morning. And he coated it in dust a few hours later. It happens. Ah, but I see real growth in him. There's growth in me, too. In the past, when he would snap at me during a remodel, I would take it personally. I thought it was an attack. Now, I see it for what he is. He's frustrated and doesn't even realize he's doing it. And when I call him out, he stops.

With any luck, the tub will be installed on Monday. The tiling will begin after that. And...fingers crossed, the room will be reassembled by the end of the week. Yup. I can stand being uncomfortable for a few more days so that we knock one more job off of our remodel list.

Whew!

3 comments:

  1. Be happy you have one working bathroom. There was one summer that we had no bathroom in our house. Both the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms were being remodeled by my plumber grandfather at once. No porta potty either. Think, dig a hole in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Lord! I would die. Or just want to die. I've done that before, camping. Never again. I hope. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've just described the state of my home pretty much constantly for 4 years now. Ugh.

    I'm glad that you and S are thriving on the challenge of living through a remodel.

    I've gotten a lot better at not taking D's moods (which generally don't have anything to do with me) personally. It is a big improvement in our relationship.

    ReplyDelete