Monday, March 26, 2012

Dreamers know one project leads to another

I love the new paint color.
It all started with one simple idea.  We should use my tax money to get new floors before Kenna comes home.  She has premature lung disease and the thirty year old carpets weren't going to make it any easier for her around the house.  Having already survived one preemie and knowing his special needs, we wanted to do everything we could for Kenna.

And so we picked the flooring.  It arrived.  It was delivered.  And it still sits clogging up my dining room.  It has to.  Little did I know that so many projects would stem off this one simple idea.

Oh, but in remodeling, this is what happens.  We realized that if we were going to do new floors, we'd better have the walls and ceiling just right or we'll later ruin them. 

So, the ceiling in the master bedroom needed to be scraped.  The kids' rooms had been done before we moved in...new ceilings, new paint, new carpet, new lighting, and amazing trim work.  Sam is super handy to have around. 

We had installed blinds so that my peeping ex could no longer see in and we bought curtains to go over the blinds.  But other than painting an accent wall and new lamps for the nightstands, we hadn't done anything to the master.  And I'm guessing we passed on this because we knew how much work it would be.  The kids' rooms were easy.  There was no furniture in there, nothing to work around.  It was perfect.  Our room, loaded with furniture far from perfect. 

The ceiling has been scraped and painted.  The lighting has been reattached.  The back wall is painted a lovely shade of taupe in a suede treatment.  I bet you had no idea I was so talented.  I'm not.  It's easy.  And the rest of the walls are being painted.  Yes, we are almost done.  For now.  There will be new furniture in the future. 

And the garden is very nearly planted.  It would have been all done, but for the fact that there was not enough dirt.  We have to import it since we are built on a boulder topped with clay.  It's not exactly conducive to a garden.  It's barely conducive to grass...although the weeds seem to thrive.

Just when I thought our remodeling was coming to an end...Sam and I were snuggling on the couch Saturday night.  We were proud of all we had accomplished thus far.

Sam: You know...one of my crew members blows insulation.  He said he'd give me a good price for the attic.  We're loosing a lot of heat and wasting a lot of air in this old place.

me: Yes, but what about the kitchen?

Sam: What about the kitchen.

me: Well, we talked about taking out the drop down ceiling and how you'd have to climb through the attic.  Would that still be possible?

And that is why Sam ended up taking down the kitchen ceiling last night.  We have to get that done before the insulation.  The end is in sight.  I can almost see it.  I've given this a lot of thought.  And I'm not sure there are many more projects to be completed around here.  Really.  Aside from the kitchen and master bath...we're good.

Soon, I'll share pictures to prove it.  And with any luck, Kenna will be home soon to enjoy it.

2 comments: