Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Dreamers make it happen

I was on my walk yesterday when something suddenly occurred to me.  Our life has become so surreal, so strange, and yet so comfortable at the same time.

For as long as we've been together, Sam and I have been plotting and planning this future.  I remember him saying that he figured one day he'd find someone he loved.  And then after about three years of dating, that woman would move in.  And then after a year of living together, they would get engaged.  And after that, marriage.  And maybe a few years later...a child or children.  It was this ten year relationship plan that he had in mind.  He was only 27 at the time.  And in his mind, he had all the time in the world. 

At the same time, I was encouraging him in starting his own business.  His father, from whom he had learned the ropes, was nearing retirement and Sam wanted to have his own company.  We worked on that together.  He had big plans, huge plans.  He never wanted to sub for others, but figured it was a good way to learn how others ran their companies.  Then he would just run his own jobs.  I would quit mine, run his office, and write.

There was talk about what we would do to the house.  We had a long long list of all the improvements that we wanted to make around the house.  We wanted to remodel every aspect of it.  The house has a great floor plan, ample space, and good bones, but it is dated...as any thirty year old home would be.  And we had a ten year plan to remodel it, pay it off, rent it, and buy or build a home on water. 

Here we are, a mere four years into our ten year plan. 

And I look around at all the progress we've made.  Our company is now a force to contend with.  We are finishing up our first major job of the season, siding a home so large that it is considered the equivalent of four or five houses.  We have other jobs lined up.  It feels good. 

Last winter was the first winter I didn't work outside of the home.  It damn near killed us, but we made it.  And this year, we learned from our mistakes and we're already working on saving for the winter.  We're squirreling away our nuts.  I'm stocking up on food.  Our savings is growing.  I'm incredibly encouraged.

Within the next month or so, we will have completed so much of the list that I won't need to worry over where it is.  I will know for sure that all we have left to do is some trim work, fix the fireplace, and remodel the kitchen and master bath.  Practically nothing...considering what we've accomplished over the last few years.

The amazing part to me though is our relationship.  We're married and have a baby girl in less than half the time he imagined he'd need to be ready, to be comfortable. 

I should know by now that we can accomplish anything we set our minds to.  Still, that it's all actually happening is so special to me.  I really do love our life, even our struggles.  I know they won't last.  And every time we pull through we are stronger and closer than we were before. 

Figure out what you want from this life and go get it.  See what a difference it makes to be living your dream.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on living your dreams together. I'm so proud of how far you've come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that things are looking up for you both.

    ReplyDelete