Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dreamers understand each other

doctor: How is your husband doing?  How are you two doing?

That is something that the doctors seem to check with alarming regularity.  And I know why.  They need to know how we are because all of that impacts Kenna. 

And I have to admit, we're good...especially after last weekend.  We're really good at noticing when we aren't connecting as we should, as we'd like.  And so we work to fix it pretty quickly.

That's why when the doctors asked me about how we were doing, I was able to answer them honestly.  We are doing good.

me: I know he hasn't been able to be here for a couple of days, but that's a combination of things: work and his inability to come see his daughter looking really sick and in pain.  And I respect that, just like he respects my need to be here.

They looked at me and smiled.

doctor: I wish all parents got that.

I'm sure they don't.  I'm sure there is tension galore.  I'm sure there is fighting.  I've seen it.  And that isn't necessarily coming from lifers like us.  I'm beginning to think of us that way because Kenna has been in the NICU for so long.

There's something about our relationship that I'm really proud of.  Some couples, when hard times hit, they fall apart, they break down.  When tough times hit us, you couldn't break us apart with dynamite.  We get that tight.  And in times of crisis, that's how it should be.

In life...that's how it should be.

Sure, it has been an adjustment for Sam.  He wasn't used to sharing his home, then his life.  He thought I was silly with my need to snuggle on the couch with him in the evening and go to bed together every night.  Now, he craves it, too. 

I can tell because he reaches out more than he ever has.  He waits for his hugs.  He knows when I need one.  As challenging as life is right now, it has also never been better. 

We do what we always do.  We work out the kinks.  We work through the challenges.  We do it together because no matter what, that's how we want to be...together. 

Not soon enough for our liking, Kenna will come home.  We have a ways to go, especially after this hiccup.  Can you really call NEC a hiccup?  Well, it has definitely postponed her homecoming.  I don't see any way she'll be ready to come home at the end of April now.  We're thinking some time in May.  We hope.

It doesn't matter.  That just gives us more time to prepare.  The house will be perfect for her.  And we'll be perfect together. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank GOODNESS! You're right. Some people buckle under this pressure. Keep up the good attitudes and reconnecting. All is good.

    ReplyDelete