Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It's not Costa Rica...


Not that we haven't considered it. A lot.


Then I talked to friends who have been there. The results were mixed. And most felt that it was a bit too third world.


And Sam and I studied the beaches. Nope. They were not even close to being as pretty as the water we're going to see, the water we long to see.


We considered Costa Rica because the cost of living was supposed to be really low. And we thought that it would be lovely to be so close to the turtle nexting beaches, and pods of whales, and five kinds of dolphins.


Lovely, right?


Oh, but immigration and residency can be a nightmare.


There are three types of residency. And not one of them is for those who just want to uproot and find a simpler way of life in a tropical setting. It should be. Oh, but we're not retired. And we aren't doctors or lawyers or one of their othered preferred professionals. And we don't have a large amount of cash to deposit in one of their banks and invest in their country.


Unlike the US, you can't just go over there and get a job. We would be unable to work on a tourist visa and unable to get residency if it meant we'd take jobs away from the Ticos.


That foiled that plan.


So, not being individuals who give up easily, we moved on to Plan B. And I like Plan B so much more! It's a bit off the beaten path. It's a little out of the norm. Guess that means it's just right for us.


4 comments:

  1. I'm DYING here. Somewhere in the Florida Keys? On a lake somewhere? I wanna come visit! :)

    I have a friend who is retiring and has purchased a coffee farm in Costa Rica. He's leaving to go live there soon. Sounded like a cool idea.

    Well, I'm excited for your plan B. Whatever it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! WHAT is plan B! Share, share, share!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. M'kay. So I was kinda close with the Florida Keys. Can I make revise my guess to just Florida instead? Sure, they're a ton of places included in Florida, but I'm guessing the state of Florida. Oh! Or maybe the U.S. Virgin Islands! They say "U.S." Virgin Islands, so perhaps immigration isn't an issue? Oh! Or Puerto Rico! They're practically a state, but they just get the perks I'm told. No matter what, I envision your new abode to have a hammock hung between a couple of palm trees. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine...I'll share here tomorrow. Will you be happier then? ;)

    And I fully expect both of you to visit with your significant others.

    ReplyDelete