Thursday, March 24, 2011

One if by land. Two if by sea.


It's two.

Brace yourselves. This is the plan.

We're buying a sailboat.

Nope. I don't know how to sail. Nope. Sam doesn't, either.

But we're about to learn. We aren't complete idiots. We have some free lessons in the works. And we have been doing tons of research.

We're going to sail the Caribbean. Seriously.

Blue water has been our dream forever. And you can't get more blue water than you can by sailing on a boat. Makes sense, right?

And adventurers that we are, we're going to visit every place that our heart desires. We'll start with a small boat and eventually upgrade as we have more money.

Here's the beauty of the plan. I can earn all the money we need with the new company. We've checked the budget. And it looks like the average cruisers spend around $1000 per month to survive.

Imagine how much money we can put away with that cost of living. Yeah, we should be doing really well really soon.

We're downsizing our life, in some ways. We're selling off everything. It will be the first time I haven't owned a car in 20 years. Strange, huh. And yet really exciting. We're going to try new things...like diving and underwater photography. We're going to simplify. No time schedule...for the most part. No excess. Enjoying the bounty of the ocean.

Sam is going to learn to eat fish. I am going to have to remember how to clean it. And he has promised me lobsters. Yes, plural.

It's going to be a whole new way of life. And we're really excited about it. This is why I named the blog what I did. This is the kind of life I have always dreamed of.

Don't bother trying to kill this dream. Don't even think of trying to talk us out of it.

We're contacting potential sponsors while we prepare the boat for the journey. And we're working on lining up advertisers for the new site. This...all while we work on unloading our stuff and tying up loose ends here.

I'm exhausted and I've never been so happy.

So, go ahead, let the questions begin...

10 comments:

  1. Sounds blissful. More people should think outside the box. I can't wait to follow along on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! There's no problem with growing roots if you're sailing from one place to the next, huh? And there will be tons of palm trees like I guessed. ;) I don't suppose either of you have watched Alton Brown's "Feasting on Waves," have you?

    Do you plan to keep the house as a home base or a rental property at all, or would you like some good house selling vibes in the near future?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! I LOOOOOOOVE THIS!!!! That is like a dream come true, for sure, isn't it? I want to visit your 'house' sometime soon!! What a leap to take, you go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Ok so... can you get internet access at sea? Do you get seasickness? Where will the kids be? Is this a permanent-until-you-decide-otherwise kind of thing?

    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Krys...I hope you always keep in touch! I'm rather counting on it.

    @Meredith...I don't know that we'll be able to sell the house. We really can't rent it out. Market value issues. What if the selling vibes are for us to unload all of our stuff for a fair price? I need that more than you know.

    @Jolene...We're making lemonade here. We decided on a new dream. And I would love for you to come visit. Anytime!

    @T...Yup. Internet at sea. Working on a couple of different options. The kids wanted to stay here to finish school. We will be picking them up on vacations and holidays in one of the two nearby ports: Myrtle Beach or Charleston. And this will be permanent hopefully for a few years, until we decide we've seen enough and are ready to settle down. I'll tell you part two of the dream soon.

    So glad you guys are excited for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. M'kay, no problem. I'll send those vibes out there. And if you can't sell or rent it, perhaps it's a good "let's spend some time in the Bubble with old friends" sort of place? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this sounds so wonderful. I am so excited for you! Can't wait to hear what the 2nd part of the dream is. I want to visit too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Danielle, Good friends are always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow!!!! I was so befuddled trying to figure out all the selling and school switching. ITs been driving me batty, Nicky! What an idea! But, wait, what new company. Im still lost. Marooned, if u will. (Hey, get used to the sea puns, now, lady) Way to make a dream happen!! Just do it, darlin, just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sahaja! Yay! I'm so excited. Not everyone will be, but I'm so glad you get it. Can't wait to talk to you.

    ReplyDelete