Wednesday, March 30, 2011

We've come to an agreement


It was our first boat related agreement. And it was easy.

This is how it all came about.

See, we have a porta potty. Porta potties are nice in a pinch, but they will never ever EVER replace actual potties.

In our society, we take for granted the beauty of a toilet. I mean, you do your business, you flush it away. No muss. No fuss.

I've been all kinds of camping. I've had to use outhouses. (Ugh, the stench, the bugs, the dark, the potential splinters. I'm short.) I've had to dig holes. (I actually prefer this to the outhouse, but for the lack of any privacy whatsoever.) And I've used porta potties. In those instances, I didn't have to empty them. I knew this time, I wasn't gonna be so fortunate.

And I could tell one evening that we were both considering the same idea. Sam brought it up.

Sam: So, I was thinking about the porta potty.

me: Me, too!

Sam: I was thinking we should never ever go number two in it.

Hmmm.

me: I was thinking that whoever went number two in it would have to empty it.

I can hold it like nobody's business. I figured that was my out. I was trying to find a way to avoid ever cleaning the thing out. I should have known Sam would have been one step ahead of me. Dagnabit.

So, while we haven't quite figured out the porta potty emptying rotation, we do know that it won't be so bad. In addition to the purely liquid contents, the paper products will be disposed of in a garbage bag separately.

It's a start. And I love that we do that...think so similarly. The rest will work itself out.

6 comments:

  1. So number two is a "hang your bum over the rail" kind of thing when you're at sea? Hee! Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krys, he actually suggested that, but I reminded hom that there were some things I should never ever see. Just like if we ever have a child, he's not going to actually watch it come out. That would just ruin things for everyone...you know what I mean? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ick! That's quite a conundrum you've got there. Oh well, I'm betting the daily swims, the constant change of scenery, and the many adventures will more than make up for whatever port-a-potty issues lie ahead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Meredith, we can only hope that's our biggest dilemma while cruising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering how you two were going to cope with the camp toilet. Ugh I could never use that with another person in the boat. Besides the garbage bags are going to stink too and where just where are you going to put the garbage when out to sea? I wish you the best on the bathroom dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, we'll need all the luck we can get. ;)

    ReplyDelete