Friday, March 25, 2011

Today...we shop!


I'm so excited.

We're driving to Charleston. We're going to put a deposit on some sailing lessons. This is money we've earned from starting to sell off our stuff. And if we find a boat, we'll put a deposit on that, too.

I love Charleston. There's so much history. It's such a pretty place on the water. And one of the first times I was there...I saw a dolphin! I love dolphins. I'm sure there will be dolphins aplenty in the Caribbean.

So, we're meeting with Buddy. That's his name. This isn't a nod to Mawmaw. We connected when he advertised this boat that I thought would be perfect for us. And the price tag was a dream! I sent an email asking for interior pictures. He emailed back a few days later that the boat had sold, but that he had another one in the marina that we could live on rent-free until we bought one.

I thought that was very generous. Instead, we asked if he would be willing to give us boat lessons. I included Sam's phone number. (There are just some things the man should be in charge of.) And he called.

Next thing you know, he's hooking us up with hugely discounted lessons, and he tells us about his friend's boat. He gives us the complete inside scoop. And so, Sam called his friend. Hence, we have an appointment to look at the boat. The pictures are nice.

If we like it, we will take it for a spin with Buddy. If we don't like it, Buddy has other boats lines up for us to look at. Somehow, we'll have our boat. And soon.

On top of the boat and sailing lessons, Buddy would like to teach us to dive. Yup. Diving lessons! We can parlay that skill into an occupation. (Sam can...changing props, etc.) We are even talking about investing in an underwater camera. How much would you love to see pictures of fishies and coral and all kinds of cool underwater stuff?

It just feels like everything is falling into place. I just wish our stuff would sell faster. Any ideas for this would be greatly appreciated? Krys has already shared some. And for that I am eternally grateful.

Wish us luck!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicki. I read this on my phone yesterday and can't comment from there. Now I've just read the tweet that you bought the boat. Yay! What are S's reservations about the boat? And what are you going to name her?

    I was thinking yesterday that it almost seems fate that this should work out for you. The guy offering to let you live on a boat rent free sounds like an angel!

    Also, on the stuff disposition: another place to check out would be used furniture consignment shops. Sure, you pay a bit to unload the stuff, but it cuts down on the hassle factor and they have buyers that want what is on offer, so in the end it might be a wash. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diving and letting us live vicariously through you with some wicked awesome underwater pics? Um, yes please! ;D Going to finish catching up before I comment on the boat hunting -- seeing as how I know you bought it already! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Meredith...Awww! So sweet that you want to live vicariously through me.

    @Krys...I believe in fate. And I told the man that he was a Godsend.

    ReplyDelete