Sunday, March 27, 2011

We found our sailboat


Apparently that was the easy part.

We looked at the boat for three hours. Sam scoured every part of it, gaining information about the working aspects of the boat. We studied the outboard engine, we learned the upkeep, we discussed what conveyed and what we'd need. We discussed our options at length. And we decided, together, to purchase the boat.

A price was agreed upon...$2000 less than asking...and we made arrangements to leave the owner with a deposit and and to pay it in full when we come back to Charleston in a few weeks to work on sailing lessons. And the best part? We'll be using our own boat for the lessons. Nothing will give us more confidence in our ability to sail than to use our own boat to do so.

So, it's a start.

Let me tell you about the boat. It's a 1984 Lancer 27. (Really, just shy of 28 feet.) It's cozy. Cozy is real estate lingo for small. At the same time, it has the most important elements. And we've already started a dream list and need list of what we have to have before we set sail.

Only I don't want to think about any of the negative right now. Instead, let me share the happy pictures we took Saturday before we realized how sunburned we were and before the buyers remorse and the anxiety over our decision set in.

Tell me she's pretty. We get to name her. My vote: Sonador. It means 'dreamer' in Spanish. We're open to ideas. So, if you'd like to throw a name into the hat...do share!

PS. I really did plan to share my own pictures. (This is our boat, but it's from the ad on CL.) Alas, I seem to have lost the camera. So, if you have an 'in' with Canon, think of me! Or if you stumbled across my camera, call me!

6 comments:

  1. No!!!! I just lost my comment!!! Sigh.

    Okay, I decided to throw my support behind the Japanese word for dream, Yume (you-meh). All the other suggestions? Not worth retyping since I'm not crazy about them.

    I hope your camera turns up soon. And the boat looks cute. I don't imagine cozy is such a bad thing, as long as you've got room enough to snuggle comfortably, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The camera showed up! And there will be room for snuggling no matter how small our digs are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks lovely! I love your suggestion for the boat name. I will ponder on it and let you know if I think of anything.

    Just remember, to avoid any bad luck, when you rename her you must have a little christening ceremony and splash some champagne over the bow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Krys...I have this image in my head of a champagne bottle going through the hull. Definitely just a splash. Good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. T, So glad you're on board. Hopefully one day the four of us can sail around together. :)

    ReplyDelete