Tuesday, March 29, 2011

So, we ate at McDonalds


We didn't want to. We wanted Subway. We wanted...no more fried food.


Only that didn't quite work out.


We were white knuckling it on the drive...torrential rains and dark made the drive a challenge. Sam's eyes were hurting him. We just gave in and stopped at the next rest stop so we could eat, pee, and switch. Mostly in that order.


So, we went to place our order. Sam was confused.


Sam: Are they all waiting to order?


There were a good ten people with drinks milling around near the registers.


me: Nope. Food purgatory. They've ordered, and now they wait.


I knew we'd be there soon.


We ordered and I went to the restroom. There was a funny announcement about the showers being free. And I giggled. Only, soon, at the marinas all over the Caribbean, this could soon be me. (Ask not for whom the bell tolls...it tolls for thee.)


And then I had a really sobering look in the mirror. Really sobering.


I was so sunburned. Mostly just my chest. It's the first sign of spring. You thought it was Robin Red Breast. Nope, it's Nicki Red Chest.


I was giggling as I returned to Sam's side in food purgatory.


me: Look at my chest.


A woman and man near us spoke. Apparently they had noticed and wondered where we had been for me to get so much...color. (Yes, that color was red. Red is most definitely a color.)


I looked at Sam.


me: Can I tell them?


Before he could answer...


me: Oh, what the heck. We bought a sailboat.


Yes, aside from my daughter, Rachel, two random strangers in some little town at a Pilot rest stop were the first to know we bought a boat. Sounds right.


We laughed and joked with them. After we finally received our food and went to our table, Sam and I spoke.


me: See, we're making new friends already. I knew the boat would be good for us.


She will be. I just know it.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Just WOW. How very exciting! (And you need to HEAVILY invest in sunscreen! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. T, with a ginger on board, we will definitely have sunscreen. It was one of those deceptively pleasant days...perfect temps. I won't make that mistake again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! Got some aloe gel and/ or noxema on hand? ;) I second investing in sunscreen. Maybe flag down your favorite brand and see if you can exchange your writing/ endorsement for some freebies. Oh, lovely, lovely freebies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith, I am waaaay ahead of you on the sponsorship. I'm pimping myself out left and right. Or is it write... ;)

    ReplyDelete