Friday, February 10, 2012

Dreamers are believers

And they help others believe, too.

Kenna just celebrated her first month of life yesterday.  And of all the special things that happened that day, getting the call from one of her doctors was the best.  This was the doctor who I had to set straight not so long ago.  I had to remind him that Kenna was here to stay.

And we haven't really spoken since.

Until yesterday.

He called.  And I was a little bothered to hear his voice.  He tends to err on the side of caution and come off as being more than a little negative.  So, I braced myself when I heard his voice.  And I prepared for whatever he was going to say.

Luckily, he made sure to let me know that Kenna was okay from the start.  And the rest of the conversation was all good news.  He told me more than once the ways that she was amazing him.  Her bad bilirubin has decreased significantly since she's started pooping.  And she is taking really good sized feedings considering her size.  He went on to explain what a large percent of her daily liquid intake came from her feedings.  The conversation was all good stuff.

And it occurred to me that Kenna was working her magic on this doctor, too.

They had all doubted her.  And why wouldn't they?  Doctors deal in reality.  They deal with numbers and statistics.  They know what they know, what they have seen.  And babies this small don't do well.

Kenna had a 10 percent chance.  10 percent.  That's all.  In fact, if we were to factor in the inter uterine growth retardation and the lack of amniotic fluid, I'd dare say her chances were even less.  Maybe much less.

Only my baby girl is determined.  She wants to be here.  She plans to see this thing through.  And I'm pretty sure that she's beginning to convince everyone else.

Dreamers are believers and they make others believe the impossible is possible, too.

5 comments:

  1. Keep believing!!!!! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is SO determined. I am constantly amazed. XOXO, stay strong Kenna and family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! This little girl is pulling at my heart strings and I havent even met her :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad my littlest cousin is stubborn and feisty. Keeping her in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete