Monday, February 20, 2012

Dreamers deal with infection...

Kenna's first head IV.
At least...we think it's an infection.

That's what it's looking like.  And I know we've had the our fair share of infection scares, but this time, it would explain a lot.

Kenna has been having a lot of desats.  This is where the oxygen levels in her blood drop.  And there are alarms for that.  They have been going off a lot.  And so they decided to run a CBC...and test the asperits from her ventilator...the mucous they suction out.  (Hey, medicine isn't pretty.) 

The result is that the blood showed elevated white blood cells and the mucous did, too.  So, they are thinking...pneumonia.  And I was a bit concerned.

Kenna has chronic lung disease.  What happens now?  Will this do irreparable damage?  Could it be fatal?

The doctor tells me she'll recover.  So, I'll believe him. 

Kenna is getting a lovely antibiotic cocktail.  It seems to already be taking effect.  She is perkier than she has been.  She was awake, alert, and checking us out.  She was responding to our voices.  And she was having constant happy sats.  That's what I call the alarms for elevated O2.  We don't worry about that.  That is good.

And we are coping with her first head IV.  I knew it was coming.  I predicted it a few days ago.  Sam saw her first because I was talking to the respiratory therapist.  He warned me.  And it wasn't bad.  I didn't even cry like I did with Keenan.  Of course, when I had Keenan in the NICU, I was alone 95% of the time.  Now, I have Sam with me 95% of the time.  Big difference.

It makes all these scary moments more manageable. 

So there is a plan.  And it seems to be working.  And I'm not going to worry until I have to.

But if you want to worry along with me, join me on Kenna's page.  My sister told me that there are plenty of people  who want updates on Kenna, but don't know where to get them from.  And I love the support that comes from having so many people thinking of her.  Facebook is ideal because I can post tiny little updates and people can interact.  It's warmer and fuzzier than a blog.  So, there we are.  See you there.  I'll be the happy optimistic one bragging about her baby girl.  Looking forward to meeting you.

3 comments:

  1. I have missed a few posts and just got caught up. I am praying for you guys and hoping Kenna continues to get stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope she doesn't develop any permanent damage to her respiratory tract. I know she'll probably end up with asthma...and I know first hand asthma really does suck. Give my littlest cousin a gentle hug for me when next you are allowed to hold her.

    ReplyDelete