Monday, February 27, 2012

The first seven weeks flew by...

It's amazing to me that it has been so long already.  It really has passed so quickly.  Really.

It seems like just yesterday that I was at the doctor and then the hospital.  And I remember how frustrated I was that there wasn't more of a sense of urgency about getting me checked in and assessed.  I remember hearing those words in my head that the ultrasound tech had expressed.  My baby was in distress.

I remember how quickly the day passed as we prepared to bring Kenna into this world.  Time simply flew by.  And before long, she was born, and Sam was everywhere and I was being wheeled into the NICU.  Though I couldn't see all of her, those feet were moving.  It gave me hope and built confidence that she was going to make it.

And here we are, seven weeks later.  Kenna is doing well.  She isn't thriving yet, but she is better, improving some every day.

The doctors are enriching her milk even more.  It makes me giggle to think that three calories, the equivalent of two TicTacs, can make such a difference, but apparently it does.  Kenna has been gaining weight.  Finally.  She now weighs in at a hefty 1lb 10.8oz.  She's a chunkster.

The last few visits have been very exciting for me.  She hasn't looked as gangly because she is starting, ever so slightly, to fill out.  Lately, to me, she looks just like a miniature version of a real live baby.  It's really nice.

I worry less.  I grill the doctors less.  I bother the nurses less.  And yet I couldn't care more.  I'm so very happy.  Kenna is our little miracle.  We're so blessed to have her.  And these days, we're so encouraged by her progress that we are getting serious about her homecoming.  Not only do we have just about all the basics together, but we are finishing a few projects.  We need to make the home Kenna friendly.  We have a baby with lung disease to consider.  So, we're considering.

And most of all, I'm considering how blessed we are.  This could have gone horribly wrong.  We could have lost her.  Instead, seven weeks later, she's still kicking.  We still have our baby girl.  Grow, Kenna, grow!

1 comment:

  1. I hope she will thrive and grow just like her big brother K did. Good luck. I have faith that all will be well.

    ReplyDelete