Friday, February 24, 2012

Dreamers survive the side effects

I have often joked that when they have these commercials on television for prescription drugs that the cure is almost worse that the condition.  The side effects are usually really unpleasant.  And here I am, on my second dose of this milk medicine, suffering my own host of side effects.

Some of them are just irritating...like the nausea and the other bodily functions we don't speak about.  And I can deal with that.  Only in the last few days, I have developed a rash.  It started on my chest.  If ever I am going to get a rash, that's where it starts.  And since then, it has spread.  I'm beginning to completely understand that wildfire analogy.

The rash has turned burny and itchy.  Seriously.  And when I looked up the potential side effects that I needed to be watching for, I discovered that the rash alone is considered severe and I should seek medical attention.

Well, I was at the doctor on Wednesday and I told my doctor.  She didn't seem overly concerned.

doctor: This is the last course we can give you of this.  Long term use can lead to Parkinson-like tremors that never go away.

me: Oh good, something to look forward to.

So, I went home.  And the rash has since grown worse.  On the bright side, it's not on my face.  And it will go away.  I hope.

Two more days.

The milk supply is super duper good.  And I am stock piling like a fiend.  Every drop is sacred.  Kenna should be able to nurse in a few weeks.

I'm thinking as long as I don't get the worse worse side effects...difficulty breathing and tightening of the chest, I'll be just fine.  As long as Kenna gets her nutrition, she'll be fine.

We're survivors.

Kenna, she's feisty.  Why, just overnight she decided to extubate herself.  Her nurse explained that she rolled over and the tub didn't make it the journey.  I love these stories.  And we have some lovely pictures of Kangaroo Care to share taken just last night, before the tube incident.  You can find them here.

1 comment: