Friday, February 17, 2012

Our little dreamer is all worn out

Sleep heals.

I know this because when Sam is worn out, or stressed, or just had a really good meals, he sleeps.  And when he wakes, all is well...or better.  He is relaxed.  He is happy.  He is refreshed.

And I think that's what's going on with Kenna right now.

She couldn't even muster the energy to look at us when we visited yesterday.  Don't get me wrong...she knew we were there.  She had such happy sats while we were there.  It was nice.  At the same time, I've grown used to seeing her look at us when we arrive.

I'm thinking it was all because it was a rainy day.

If we had been home, Sam would have been passed out on the couch.  And if I hadn't had so much to do, I would've taken a nap with him.  We snuggle together and offer each other such comfort that we relax and sleep practically immediately.

We should have news about a new weight when next I speak to her nurse.  And we should have more news about her blood gases when next I speak to her nurse.  And I hope that next time I see her, later today, that she can muster the energy to look at me.  I love those moments.  Maybe, if I'm really lucky, we can start kangaroo care again.

I love snuggling her, but I have to make sure she's stable before we do that.  Otherwise, instead of being beneficial, the kangaroo care will only further exhaust and upset her.

Soon, little bit.  Soon.

So, we're still praying for lungs.  Our baby needs to breathe.  Breathe, Kenna, breathe.

2 comments: