Friday, September 23, 2011

Dreamers plant a seed

Actually, we're planting seeds and plants and trees.  Oh, my.

It started with our plan for the natural area.  At least...that's what I'm going with.  See...

I think the real seed that was planted...was the seed of change. 

We're changing all the time.  It's our environment...from the small projects we're working on around the house and the big projects we're working on all around the house.  And as much as we've always been this team...now more.

So while it was raining yesterday, Sam started digging holes for me.  I have big dreams for some of the things I envision in the yard.  He has left it to me.  He handles the grass.  I get to pretty much do what I want with the rest.

At least that's what he said...years ago.  And I'm beginning to think he has forgotten.

Sam: Those marigolds...

me: Mums. Mawmaw has marigolds.

Sam: Right.  Mums.  So what colors do they have?

He loves our wedding flowers recycled.  He has really developed an interest in the yard and what we do with it.

Sam: Because I was thinking we could plant some other colors. 

Looks like there will be burgundy ones and even orange ones.  Sorta looking forward to it. 

Really.  I'm worried.  I'm afraid to get too invested in it.  And for the first time, it has nothing to do with my fears that our life together will come to a sudden and abrupt end.  Instead, it's Bishop.

You see, I've planted before.  And he dug these plants up.  I'm talking within hours of the planting.  Money down the toilet...or shredded across the yard...and sometimes our carpeting.  Then there was the stuff Sam did.  Roundup.  On everything he thought was a weed...including my foxglove.  It was less successful on the holly we both hate.  And my liriope merely laughed at him. 

Yesterday, we planted a peach pit.  We're hoping to get a peach tree.  It's our own little science experiment.  The kids were supposed to participate in this peach-off, but their pits aren't producing. 

If you happen to have any suggestions for hardy plants that Bishop won't dig up and Sam won't mistake for weeds and I can't kill accidentally, do share.  We have ten years to make this house incredible.

2 comments:

  1. Well, the master plan is to have a beach house in 10 years. We have a couple of really nice lakes here. And we're thinking we'll buy property and build our dream house. We can do it. He has mad skills and no one can dream and design like me.

    ReplyDelete