Friday, September 2, 2011

Dreamers never settle down

In fact, that may be the chief characteristic of dreamers.  We move from one goal to the next, one project to the next.  We live to try new things, explore new places, make new friends.

Yup.  Sam and I are dreamers through and through.  We love our dreams.

I was having a talk with my mother the other morning while taking my walk.  Dreamers are multi-taskers.  At any given moment we have so much on our agendas that we simply have to find ways to do two and three things at a time.  And after all these years, I have multi-tasking down to an art form.

So, mom and I are talking.  I'm rather excited because she'll be here in less than a week.  And, as usual, from the minute she arrives until the moment she departs, it will be a whirlwind of a trip.  We'll be doing dinner the first night of her arrival with Sam's family...hopefully at that Mexican restaurant we all enjoyed.

Then in the morning, we'll have a walk before we shower, pack up, and head to the mountains.  Friday we'll be looking around and prepping and just enjoying the time.  Our friends and family will be trickling in over the rest of the weekend.

We'll sneak off to see some stars on Friday night.  I know us.  And I know Sam especially.  He has been really looking forward to this.

Saturday will be a morning of boating followed by a late afternoon of getting reading and an early evening wedding.  Ours! And then, back to the cabin for food and fun.

Sunday will be more fun, lots of driving, and a return to Charlotte.  We have friends who want to get together.  And we want that, too.  And before you know it, a few days later, Mom heads home.

It promises to be a fast paced, action packed trip.  I love that kind.  It rather leaves her breathless, I think.  And the mere discussion of it had her asking the question...

mom: Nicki, do you ever think you'll settle down?

And I thought about it.  I guess I equate settling down with getting old, being old, acting old.  And though I will be celebrating thirty-ten this year, I don't think I'll be considering myself old.  Nope.  Not yet.

I'm young at heart and mostly mind, body, and spirit.  I like my active busy full life.  I don't ever want to slow down too much.  I bore easily.  Luckily, Sam does, too.  It promises to be an active marriage, a full life, a balanced relationship.  And I couldn't be happier.

Think you'll ever settle down?

2 comments:

  1. Thirty-ten huh? Never heard of that. I have heard of staying 39 like Jack Benny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I was twenty-eleven before it was a year. ;)

    ReplyDelete