Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dreamers keep their chins up

I read a post from Jolene the other day.  She was writing about how it makes her nervous to be so happy.  She keeps waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Some people don't understand that concept.  Ah, but I am all too familiar with it.  Whenever I get really happy and excited about something, I have a tendency to pause for a moment.  Loss is all too common in my life.

Through the years, I have lost so many people close to me.  For a long time, my life felt like a string of funerals.  Some people never know how to act or react in those situations, but I know all too well.  I spoke at both of my maternal grandparents funerals.  I couldn't help myself.  Right now, I'm maintaining multiple blogs.  Clearly, I have a lot to say.

So, when everything seems to be falling into place, I get a bit nervous.  I almost feel better when something begins to go wrong...that eventuality I am always prepared for.

Wednesday morning was no different.

We woke up, we prepared for the day.  For Sam, this means a shower.  For me, it means that I get into workout clothes and head out to the living room to write all my posts.  Then, once Sam no longer needs me before heading out the door, I go for my walk.  I come home, eat, read blogs, shower, eat again, and get settled in to an afternoon of writing...and running errands.  There are always errands.

Only, Sam was called with a siding job to be done immediately.  And he had to finish yesterday's job.  And he had to fix a (yeah, I still don't know what the thing is called...diverter or something?).  And he had an estimate to run after all of that was done.

On the one hand, yay!  I get to write almost uninterrupted.  On the other hand, all of his guys were MIA, so that created a whole new set of challenges.  He was calling everyone he knew and trusted to help him accomplish everything that needed to be done.  He needed my help to get it all together.

And that's why my day started later than I planned.  And my work load grew.  I still went on my walk.  I still bathed.  Of course.  And I wasn't going to give up on eating.  Guess this means no nap for me.  No matter how tired I get, no nap today.  There's too much to do.

It's okay.  I just have to get everything done by Friday.  I have left next week for cleaning and wedding planning and what little cooking I plan on doing.  (Um, not much.)

I've learned not to panic.  These things have a way of working themselves out.  A clear head goes a long way to making it through.  And simply plugging along means that the job will get done some way, somehow.

Chin up.  It's not so bad.

2 comments:

  1. Learning not to panic is a good thing. Absolutely. Keep your chin up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know all about how daily plans can change in a heart beat. Hope you both got done what you could.

    ReplyDelete