Monday, September 26, 2011

Dreamers leave a legacy

Once again I was blessed to receive an amazing book through the From Left to Write Online Book Club...for free.  This time it was Cleopatra, by Stacy Shiff.  And while I normally don't enjoy biographies, favoring something more fantastical...there aren't many true stories that are more fantastical than that of Cleopatra.

Of all the thoughts I had while reading this, what stirred me the most was the idea of leaving a legacy.  There's something to be said for that.  Cleopatra left quite the legacy, a huge history behind, truths that many struggled to understand...like how she could commit suicide.  Some view it as an act of cowardice.  And while I don't understand choosing to take her own life, what I do understand is her inability to live without the love of her life.  I think that played a bigger role in her decision than the idea of being paraded through town as a prisoner.

At least...that's what the dreamer in me wants to believe.  That concept I understand.  Sam and I wonder over that often.  What would I do if I lost him?  How would I go on?  What would he do if he lost me?  Could he go on?

That's why thoughts of the legacy I'm leaving mean so much.  When I am gone, how will I be remembered?  What will I be remembered for?  And I have come to realize that the way I'm viewed is as varied as the way that people have come to know me.

Of all my friends in high school, only my Jennie really knew me.  And of all those in my life now only Sam and Jennie really know me.  There are those who come close, those who take the time to sit and talk...even over the miles.  Sahaja and I speak here and there despite the distance between us...literally...she's in school in Hungary.  She gave me the nicest compliment the other day.  She told me I'm like the ocean...and it wasn't a size thing.  She told me that it's because I'm all vibrant like the ocean and yet have such a calming effect.  Hmm.  I like.

I wonder how my children will remember me.  I'm hoping I'll be remembered as being generous and loving.  I'm hoping they will remember how special I tried to make them feel and how many wonderful memories I tried to create through the years.

I want to leave behind a legacy of love.  To me, that is more important than any other accolades I receive.

3 comments:

  1. I've never really thought about what kind of legacy I want to leave for my children. It's a lot to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on that. I hadn't really considered how people would think of me... but I agree, they always think of you differently after you're gone.

    Make life good now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The two movies of Cleopatra seemed to take two views. Claudette Colbert's Cleopatra died rather than submit to humilation. Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra died rather than face life without Richard Burton, er, Marc Antony.

    ReplyDelete