Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Dreamers find a Velveteen Rabbit kind of love

The most marvelous changes have been taking place.  Every time I stop and pause and think, I can't help but smile.

 Like last night.  When I caught him looking at me.

me: What?

Sam: You just keep getting prettier and prettier.  I'm not sure what it is...

me: Happiness.  It agrees with me.

That's what I tell him, but I know what it really is.  It's love.

I know it's love because of the many things he does for me.

Like the other morning.  When he just started cleaning my car.

Sam: Your car needed cleaning, baby.

me: So, you're cleaning it?

Of course, this isn't the first time.  He does it often.  He does so many wonderful things that he's never done before.

It's like the Velveteen Rabbit.  When you really love someone, you think they are beautiful, no matter what.  You get to the point where you don't mind if they are a little rounder than they used to be, or if their hair isn't perfect.  You don't notice when they have morning breath or burp tacos.  You just love them.

With a Velveteen Rabbit love, anything is possible.  It is the most freeing love I know.  It's built on substance.  It's known for its durability, its sustainability.  It's all about acceptance and understanding.  It's a pretty amazing love to have.

We don't always look right on paper.  I'm older and have two teens.  I have a Master's degree.  He works with his hands, has a GED.  He's younger and hawt.  Ah, but he explained it all so very nicely to our customer the other day.

We were friends first.  I was everything he was looking for in a mate.  He wanted a mental connection.  Sure there was an attraction there, but...and this is where he's really learning...it's the mental attraction that makes the relationship last.

See, looks can fade.  But when you love someone for who they are on a personality and intellectual basis, that doesn't matter.  Every day you will be more attracted to the them because of who they are and the life you have together.  That's why his past relationships didn't work.  He went for the body, or the beauty, or the bubbly cute attitude.

And just in case you don't believe me...last night he cornered me in the kitchen.

Sam: I don't know what it is lately.  Every day you look more beautiful to me.  I can't put a finger on it.  It isn't the marriage, I've felt married to you for so long.  Are you doing something different?

I shook my head.  He knows I'm not.

Sam: Every day I love you more.

Me too, baby.  Me too.

2 comments: