Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dreamers know when they are in over their head

Glug glug. 

I'm there.  Yup.  I'm drowning in it.

Lately, I have just had a series of days that have not gone the way they were supposed to.  From Friday morning when we received a new edition, our proverbial baby in a basket...our Bo Bear to...well, every day since and especially yesterday, when the kids needed me and Sam needed me and the business needed me and the boat needed me. 

Sam: You know, I've never seen a dog get potty trained as quickly as you potty trained Bishop.  This dog, he's gonna be a challenge.

Oh, and he has been.  I've been walking him out to the grass religiously ever since.  He finally gets that the grass is the good place to go potty, while the carpeting is bad.  Still, this is the potty training carpet.  We get the pets now and break them in before we get the good stuff.  We have a plan.  We know what we're doing.

Okay.  We mostly know what we're doing.  Right now...I question.

See, it's been one thing after another.  I've had to deal with Rachel and school drama.  I've had to deal with Keenan and injury drama.  I'm up to my eyeballs in...drama.

Rachel came home the other day wearing a scowl. 

Rachel: I'm not graduating in January like I planned.

me: Why not?

Rachel: They recorded my art class wrong from Butler.

She explained the entire situation and waited to see my reaction.

me: Get me a phone number.

Three phone calls later, problem solved.  She's graduating early, just like she wanted.  And apparently my record stands.  If anyone wants something accomplished, they sic me on it. 

Usually,

Then there was the call from the nurse about Keenan.  Not news.  Keenan has allergic reactions with the frequency others change their underwear.  That this call was about a finger and not an allergic reaction was news. 

the nurse: Keenan apparently injured his finger yesterday.

me: Yesterday?

And I remembered how I was grocery shopping and he was playing with John down the road.  He came home.  I came home.  There was the normal hugging and pleasantries.  Nope.  No mention of an injury.  And the nurse was recommending x-rays.

This kid has had so many x-rays...I'm surprised he doesn't glow.

Only this time Keenan came home from school and asked me not to overreact.  He was convinced that his finger was merely sprained and he would heal.  I looked at it.

me: Can you bend it?

He demonstrated.  Good enough for me.

There are still articles that must be written.  I wanted them done last Friday.  Then I wanted them done over the weekend, Monday at the latest.  Oh, but my mother is coming today and the house isn't clean, the articles aren't done, the shopping needs to be finished, there's baking to do, and packing and laundry and family dinner tonight...oh my.

It will get done.  Make that...it will get done enough. 

That's what I've learned.  That is the secret to my mostly calm. 

I'm still the people pleaser I always was.  I'm still the devoted mom and daughter and almost wife.  I can do this.  I make it work.  We're going to be just fine.

2 comments:

  1. Dang girl. Healer, mother, and everything else! Take care of YOU in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck! Don't forget to come up for air now and then.

    ReplyDelete