Monday, September 19, 2011

Dreamers live for different experiences

One our wedding night, Sam sat beside me at the bonfire he had built and promised to be the best husband he could be.  Just saying that and thinking that way had him off to an incredible start.

Of course, it does help that he keeps proving it.

We had received some free tickets to the Southern Show for Saturday from a friend.  It ran all weekend, but this is football season and there is very little chance that we will do anything that isn't related to football on Sunday.  (I love our Sundays!)  So, Saturday for the show it was.


We had two extra tickets and invited Dad and Vicki.  Unfortunately, Saturday is a big cake day for Vicki, but Dad agreed to meet us...until he hit the parking lot.

Dad: Is this the Southern Women's Show?

Sam looked at the tickets in my hand.  And realized it was.  So, Dad decided not to join us.  In his mind it was going to be all girl stuff...purses and makeup and jewelry, oh my.  To some extent, it is.

Ah, but I am not a girlie girl.  And I love this show.  For years I have told Sam that you can fix your entire life at these shows with enough money.

Sam: The only men here are suckers.

me: No, you are keeping your word about being a good husband.

Sam: Well, we already paid for parking, let's check this out.  I can probably tolerate it for an hour.

So, I sped us right past the stuff I knew he would want nothing to do with.  And we found all the things that would interest both of us.  We had some free samples...like ice cream.  We tried on some energy bracelets...and bought some.  We found some Christmas presents and toys.  In the end, we left after about two hours or so.

me: You had fun.

Sam: I decided to make the best of a bad situation.

I just smiled.  I knew he really had enjoyed himself.  And the day wasn't over yet.

He took me to South 21, a landmark restaurant in Charlotte, where we enjoyed chicken and barbecue.  We went to visit Mawmaw.  We had a really nice afternoon.

Then, on the drive home, we stopped by the cemetery where his mother and grandfather are buried.  He hadn't been in years, but decided to go with me.  And I understand why.  He's changing lately in all the best ways.

We walked around for a long time trying to find her.  There were a few landmarks he remembered from his youth and the place had grown significantly since her death in 1995.  He found the spot and called me over.

Sam: Mom, this is Nicki, my wife.  Nicki, my mom.  I thought the two of you should meet.

He told me what he remembered of his mom.  Age and maturity change everything.  He has forgiven her for choices she made that hurt him at the time.  He understands more about what it is like trying to be a parent and do the best job possible.

And he told me what I needed to hear.  He told me that he never expected to be a step-parent before he was a parent.  He told me that he never could be with anyone else.  He told me that he thinks sometimes how horrible it would have been if he had made decisions that kept us from being together.  He told me he's happy.

It's more than I could ever ask for.  It's all that I need.  I love our different kind of days.  I'm happy, too.

2 comments:

  1. That's sweet that he took you to "meet" his mom. I'm not sure what happened, but I'm sorry that you two had to meet under... those circumstances. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet. This made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete