Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Dreamers know how to celebrate

Winding down and opening presents.
We enjoyed the rest of the night.  It was our reception.

Sam helped me for a little bit, then went to play tracball in the yard with Ed while there was still light.  Jennie and George joined them.  And I fiddled around the kitchen and entertained the family and friends.

It was a small wedding.  It was just the way we wanted it.

We had talked about having ten people.  Including ourselves, there were nine.  Good, huh?  Jennie and George, Ed and Laura, Mom, Mawmaw, and Dad.

We didn't go fancy with the food.  We went with yummy and comfortable.  There was homemade fried chicken.  There was Stouffers Mac and Cheese.  (I can't make it better.  I've tried.)  There were meatballs in marinara sauce.  There was a veggie platter with two kinds of dip: ranch and my Greek dip.  There was Boursin and crackers: Rosemary and Olive Oil Triscuits and Sundried Tomato Basil Wheat Thins.  There was my creamy horseradish potato salad and Jennie's pasta salad.  We had yeast rolls.

No one ever goes hungry on my watch.

After dinner, there was cake cutting and toasting.  We were told we were boring when we nicely fed each other cake.  We have been sharing slices of cake for as long as we've known each other.  It would never occur to us to smush cake in each other's face.  We would never disrespect a Vicki cake like that, or each other.

Everyone insisted we open our presents.  We sat in the living room and did so.  We thanked everyone and read cards aloud.  Then we sat and joked a while longer.

It was a long day.  Sometime after 9pm, people were heading back to their cabins.  Mom was heading to bed.  Sam, Jennie, and I were heading out to the fire he had made hours earlier.  We needed s'mores for the experience to be complete.  Then Jennie left us alone to talk.

Sam: I'm going to be the best husband I can be.

me: I know you will.

Sam: I can't imagine my life with anyone but you.  I can' imagine living without you.  I guess that's why I can't understand how Mawmaw has lived so long without Pawpaw.

And I know what he means.

me: You know the other day, I was crying while listening to some of our songs.  I found out when we broke up and I moved out that I can survive without you, but it's not much of a life.  I want to be with you, only you.

We kissed then.  We kissed a lot that night.  We're still kissing now.  This is love.

3 comments: