Monday, September 26, 2011

Dreamers decorate their dreams

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this before, but I'm living in my dream home.  Almost.  I have my dream man.  That's a great start.

This home is the same floor plan as the home I lost and the in the same neighborhood.  And, quite honestly, because it is right in the center of our street, I rather like his home better.  And because I share it with him, it is more my home than my home ever was.

We have been slowly making changes to the home...more slowly than we would like.  That's the nature of life as a contractor.  There is either money and no time or time and no money.  And there's only so much that I can do.  I try really hard, but I have my limits.  This is why we are a team.  And luckily this team works so well together.

About a year and a half ago, we sat down and made a plan for the house.  It was our ten year plan of what we wanted to accomplish.  We wanted the home to be comfortable and make it more marketable.  We needed to update and improve.  We also had to be careful not to price it out of the neighborhood.  We came awfully close on the bathroom.  Now we're working on the great room, which pretty much encompasses the rest of the house.

So, when rains kept Sam from working on Saturday, we ended up finally putting our wedding money to work.  We went to Lowe's.  It's my crack.  We picked out the paint for the great room.  We started wall repairs.  We picked out the chair rail.  We have now started work.

Sam climbed through the scuttle hole over the great room to fix a truss issue we've been having that resulted in the all cracking along the seam.  More wall repair.  More work to be done.  Nothing is ever simple.  I'm used to it.

You'd think we'd have this down by now.  We sort of do.  I started taking off the outlet covers.  With a chisel.  I couldn't find  flat head, but I am very resourceful.  Sam moved furniture.  The room is much cozier now as aisles have been created around the room.

There will be pictures.  You know how this works.  It's going to be a dramatic change.  And I love all of our changes, great and small.  Time and patience are really making a big difference in every aspect of our life.

3 comments:

  1. What fun! I love it when a plan comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* I'm a product girl. I want my great room back already. And since the weather has improved...he's working...not with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. D and I have been painting fools the past two days. The upstairs bedroom is finally coming together! But if I ever see a can of paint again, it will be too soon. Of course, we do have to paint the entire house, inside and out, before we sell it - so I'm going to have to suck it up.

    I love Lowe's too. D, not so much - because he pretty much hates anything to do with the remodel. So its this tug of war... if I actually get him into the store, how much can I cover with him before he loses patience. :-)

    ReplyDelete