Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dreamers know that which gets measured gets done

We used to be really good at it.  We'd set our goals for the week together.  We'd have a plan in place.  We measured to see how we were doing at achieving said goals.

Ah, but that was in the past.

Maybe I'm just being a bit hard on us.  It could simply be that we have so much on plate right now.


Let's see...

  • We have a sail boat to sell
  • We have a wedding to plan and organize in 11 days
  • We have two teens to organize
  • We have all the companies he works for
  • We have our own estimates as of late
  • We have my blogs...plural and all the social marketing surrounding all of that
  • We have a dog, two cats, and a house to maintain
  • We have my companies that I work for with the many many many deadlines
  • We have the novels I'm working on and trying to finish
And there's more that I don't even want to think about yet.  Suffice it to say...we're busy.

Now, don't get me wrong...we have never been more focused or busier.  We ran an estimate on Saturday and won the job.  Sam has a house to side with his crew.  It will be about a week of work.  It should be finished just before the wedding.  And we have another door and window estimate we're waiting to hear back on.  We are running specials through Angie's List, Facebook, and Kudzu.  We are on top of things.

My blog has never been in such high demand.  I have companies contacting me about advertising all the time.  I have companies offering me money to write about them.  I have all kinds of great partnerships that are leading to more opportunities that are leading to money.  I couldn't be happier.

Still, if we hope to get further ahead, we have to have a plan.  So, as I've been offered opportunities by varying companies to promote their various products, I have been blessed to have a new book cross my path.

It's written by Cameron Herold.  He was one of the driving forces behind 1-800-GOT-JUNK? .  In his book Double Double, he talks about setting three year goals in order to double your business in three years of less.  He offers some handy techniques and while this post is dangerously close to becoming a review, simply know that the book inspired me.

My perfect book right now would be something along the lines of how to manufacture time or work twenty-three hours a day to accomplish all my goals.  Being sleepy and giving in the the call of sleep has been working against me some.


Still, Sam and I will be working on our goals.  We're going to implement some of the strategies recommended in the book.  We're going to press on and get it done.  And because the book encourages us to share the plan with everyone as a way to force us to work on it, I guess I'll be doing that, too.

I guess it's my hope that by doing it, not only will we be moving in the right direction to achieve our goals, but we may be inspiring other dreamers to get working on some of theirs, too.  How's your year shaping up?  Achieved any good goals lately?  Inspire me, too.

8 comments:

  1. You guys have a TON on your plates, but you always manage to get 'er done. I got faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolene, so far so good. I've increased my iron intake. It seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited about the jobs for both of you! You're amazing, Nicki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember, there are only 24 hours in a day and you can only try to accomplish just so much in that alloted time leaving some for sleep and eating too. Relax and you'll get more done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. T, I'm really not that impressive, but thanks. I couldn't do it without your support and understanding. Thanks, blog buddy!

    Becky, I'm surprisingly relaxed. I think that's what has me worried. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got tons of blog posts scheduled so my blog can basically run itself while I'm doing my part-time job. Crossing my fingers that I can make this all balance out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meredith,that's awesome! I'm so proud of you. With determination and dedication, you've totally got this. Cheering for you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would try to inspire you, but you know where I am lately. I'm living vicariously through you...

    That is an awful lot on your plate, and I echo T, you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete