Friday, August 26, 2011

Dreamers see the sunny side

Yesterday was the first day of school.  I was pretty excited.  I actually thought that I would accomplish more with the kids gone to school all day and Sam gone to work.

Silly, Nicki.

It was a dream.  Just a dream.

My day started out right.  I took pictures of Rachel and then Keenan, our first day of school tradition.  Then I went for a walk.  I love my morning walks.  It's so nice out right now.  The mornings have just enough of a cool breeze to keep me from dying.

I made it back to the house in time to spend a little time with the boy before his first day.  He was a little worried about how it was all going to turn out.  He didn't have a schedule yet, but I assured him it would be fine.

Then I went to take a shower.  By the time I was done, Sam was awake.  We played with Bishop.  We joked around.  And everything seemed to indicate it would be a fabulous day.

I was having a massage shortly.  Sam had a job to go to.  And we would have plenty of time to invoice and I could get my writing done.  It was a good plan.

Of course just as I was leaving for the massage, Rachel started sending me SOS texts.  She was in the media center.  She didn't have a schedule.  She didn't know when she would get a schedule.  And she wanted help.

Yeah, that post massage mellow was completely harshed before it had begun.  As soon as I was done, I drove to the school.  It was pretty much the story of my week.  I went to the office and was directed to the media center.

As I walked in, Rachel walked over to meet me.  She told me that no one could believe that I was coming to help her.

me: Why wouldn't I?

Rachel:  It's not that you wouldn't; it's that their parents wouldn't.

In defense of these other parents, I'm sure they work.  They don't have the luxury of working from home to be at their kids' beck and call.  They don't have the time it takes to sit around mired in red tape and the bureaucracy.

Lucky for my kids...I do.

So, we were passed around a lot.  We were walked to the registrar.  And I pretty much was my cranky assertive self.

registrar: We're missing some paperwork from you.

me: No, you're not.  You simply misplaced the paperwork that was given to you.

Sure enough.  Part of Rachel's folder was with the registrar.  Part of Rachel's paperwork was with the counselor.  None of it was where it was supposed to in order for her to be transferred to her old high school.

Rachel was very appreciative.

Rachel: You realize that without your help, I would still be in the library?

me: Yup.

I took her home early.  I made cupcakes.  They are special ones.  I made yellow ones with chocolate fudgy middles and dark chocolate frosting.  I figured all the kids would deserve it after their first day back.

During the course of the day, I took great pleasure in teasing Rachel.  When she was assigned to a bus, I made my first comment.

me: Well, it's a good thing you have a bus to take you to a school where you have no classes.

Rachel: I know.  Right?

And then while I was making the cupcakes I decided to practice channeling my best school year mom.

me: Rachel, have you done your homework?

Rachel: Sure.  I did the homework I wasn't assigned for the classes I don't have.

We make the best of bad situations.  Rachel and Sam bonded over the cupcakes.  I could hear them talking about how great I was, how effective I was dealing with the school, and how yummy the cupcakes are.

I spread joy however I can, no matter how challenging the situation.

2 comments:

  1. MMmm...cupcakes. I can already feel them going to my hips just thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate-filled cupcakes? Um, yes please! That's a good way to erase the stress caused by disorganized educators. Mmm, and I still have some tasty chocolate chip cookie bars. But I already ate one today. But they're good. But... yup, this is why those 30lbs are still taunting me. ;)

    ReplyDelete