Monday, August 8, 2011

Dreamers make new discoveries


Well, we spent a lovely night and morning in Charleston over the weekend. It was the longest ride there by far. I'm talking it took us two extra hours. And I thought my bladder was going to explode. So, I wasn't in the best of moods as we pulled in to the marina...not cranky and miserable so much as withdrawn...quiet.

Sam: You're no fun. I'm trying to play with you.

me: I have to pee!

The minute I put the car in park, I all but ran to the bathroom. He went to get a cart. And by the time we converged on the SUV again, I was skipping. Literally.

Sam: You are in a better mood.

me: Yup. I peed.

We found our boat. We made some friends. And we went to dinner. I love dinner. It's one of my favorite meals of the day, ranks right up there with breakfast, lunch, brunch, and linner. I should have been a Hobbit. Other than the hairy feet...I probably am already there.

Lunch had been disappointing. We usually go to Zaxby's. I had my heart set on a Chicken Club combo. I had discovered it on the road trip back from Charleston 4th of July weekend. Sam slept through that stop, but that's okay. He woke a bit disappointed and confused.

Sam: Did we go to Zaxby's?

me: Yes.

Sam: Did I eat?

me: No, but you paid. Thanks for lunch, by the way.

Sam: Glad you enjoyed it.

I get away with a lot because I'm cute. It's good.

Needless to say, our lunch at McDonald's was less than satisfying. We picked that exit because it was already going on three and we hadn't eaten yet that day. I could have been dead by the time we reached Zaxby's. And this exit promised a Cookout, which had me dreaming of pork and coleslaw. I love me some bbq. Oh, and then once we committed to the exit, we saw the fine print on the sign. Five miles away was the Cookout. Even I didn't want to travel that far off course, pork or no.

So, by 8pm, I was starving for dinner. I was being a team player and willing to negotiate with Sam, even though meals are my thing. I offered up Taco Bell and was denied. He wanted Popeye's and I wasn't feeling it. Two mediocre meals in a row. *sigh*

Well, we were driving when he saw a Mexican restaurant: Senor Tequila's.

Sam: Want to try it?

me: Mexican food and the promise of margaritas? Hell, yeah!

It was a hole that blinds people with the neon lights and comforts us with Applebees decor. Sam was not impressed.

Sam: We should have gone to Popeye's. See what I do to make you happy? See what I give up?

He was frustrated. He couldn't get chicken fingers and fries like he wanted. Instead, it was tacos.

Sam: We just had tacos last night.

me: No we had lasagna last night. We had tacos the night before.

I didn't care. Lately, I could eat tacos every day. Artists have their phases where they experiment, mine right now...Mexican food.

In the end, it ended up being a lovely surprise. I had the best quesadilla rojas EVER. And Sam consumed three soft tacos.

Sam: Did you see the meat in them? I must have eaten a pound and a half of ground beef! Well, I can't complain about the portions.

He really couldn't complain at all. Senor Tequila, we shall return.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds delish! Y'know, I also dream about the day when I can explore new restaurants and enjoy different flavors and new dishes. Mmmm. This is why I have a problem losing weight. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well at least you found a place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh,it was tasty. And when you have to wait for so long for a good meal, it seems even better.

    ReplyDelete