Sunday, June 19, 2011

I'm learning


I have to tell you, I've only been out of my job for a few days, but it has already been a big learning experience. Huge. And I can tell it's only going to get bigger.

First, I can completely understand why Sam needs my help. He worked until almost 9pm on Friday. Normally, I would have been going crazy wondering where he was and when he was coming home. Not an issue. I always know where he is now. He keeps in touch. And I'm at the house providing a valuable service.

Or I'm out and about providing a valuable service.

Friday, I worked on writing my articles. This is true. I completed ten of the nineteen that day. I also ran around for Sam. He asked that I pick up checks from two of the companies that he works for and make the bank run since the guys would be cashing their checks. No problem. Mostly.

So, I ran to Fort Mill first. It's about a twenty minute drive from the house over the border in South Carolina. I found prime parking on Main Street and sauntered into the office only to realize that it is where my spa used to be.

*sniffle*

My spa is gone! That's okay. I don't have money to spend on it at the moment, but I had big dreams of going there at some point on one of my magical days working from home. Yes, I was dying to have a pedicure there. Or maybe another body wrap. Or...a facial.

Now, I pick up checks. It's almost as good. Either way I leave relaxed and smiling, right?

Then I drove to the other location just outside of uptown Charlotte. It was a good forty minute drive. I was supposed to pick up some checks, drop off a check and some invoices so that there would be more future checks. And it didn't quite go as planned.

There was only one small check, a repayment from money that shouldn't have been taken to begin with. Long story. Bad bookkeeping by them. And by Sam. Now that I'm on the bookkeeping and using my new love, Quickbooks, we should be fine from here on out. A little too fine. My prediction is that they are going to hate me for my accuracies.

Oh, and while I was there, they gave me some jobs for Sam to complete during this week. And some windows. Seriously. I hauled my first set of windows. It was only two and a half round. Still, I felt very professional. I'm the big helper.

I headed to the grocery store and the bank. I headed home to write some more. It was a lovely night. And we were in bed early.

Then Saturday, more writing. I had to make my deadline. I finished the last nine articles and sent them at 4pm. After that I was toast and couldn't quite motivate to do anything else the rest of the night. As it was, Sam had spent the day on the couch in pain. But since I'm not sure he's ready for me to share all those gory details, that little tidbit will have to suffice for now.

That brings me to Sunday. After we spent the morning at the Urgent Care...the man has to be in working condition...we were home around lunch time. That's when I decided to sit down and work on inputting the last of the year's invoices. It feels good to be organized and together.

Ah, but that's when I realized it.

When you are self-employed, weekends aren't sacred. You work when there's work. You work all you can. You work to build work and make more work. And that's what we do. We'll have plenty of time for rest and relaxation this winter when work slows down for him. If I'm doing things right, it will never slow down for me.

Fingers crossed!

And I'll be living my dream in the winter months, a combination of remodeling our house and sailing the Caribbean. Doesn't sound half bad, does it?

All I know is that I'm happy. Monday is a whole new day, the first full week of my whole new life. Let's make it special.

3 comments:

  1. doesn't sound half bad at all ;-) hey, look at it this way, short term pain, long term gain :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @T...Thanks! I'm excited, too!

    @Jolene...It's awesome. I'm not finding it painful at all.

    *sigh*

    Bliss!

    ReplyDelete