Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Life onboard


I always wondered what life would be like on a boat. I would read other sailor's blogs and imagine what my life would be like if I were to do the same. And then Sam and I decided to pursue it.

We did some research, we found the boat, bought the first one we viewed. It was reckless. We're a bit reckless. I'm the dreamer. He's the adventurer. It's a wild combination.

The first time we went sailing, we thought we were going to stay on the boat, but it didn't happen. This past weekend was the first time we actually stayed on the boat. Three days, two nights. It was bliss. It was challenging, but still, mostly bliss.

When I imagined it, I thought camping on water with some more creature comforts. There's an air conditioner right next to the bed that blows on us all night long, so while we have given up an inner spring mattress, the foam with all the extra pillows and our blankets is very comfortable.

We dropped the table in the v-berth to try that out for comfort, too. Friends are dying to stay with us and go sailing. The kids will be coming. We needed to see what it was like. It was...surprisingly comfortable, surprisingly spacious. Oh, but watch out for that pole.

The boat itself is a tight fit. Two of us can't really be in the galley at the same time comfortably. The ladder takes up space. And since we only have a portapotty and not a marine potty, and since we made that rule...the head is mostly a changing room.

Oh, but topside at sunset...perfection. We sat there for hours and talked. We had a family staying on their boat next to us and the adults talked for a while. We listened to music. We stared up at the stars. It was lovely.

And then there was waking up in the morning. With the portholes just above my head, I could see the sky when I woke. It was incredible. I loved it.

Let's see...what didn't I love? The bathroom is so far away. It requires a lot more planning. The shower was also farther away. So while I worried over this sedentary life on a boat, there's still a lot of walking to do just for essentials. We had to walk more to get water. We had to walk to get ice. We had to walk to do most anything. Plenty of exercise.

And there were some moments that I just couldn't trade for anything...like swimming off the back of the boat and floating on the life preservers...like sailing by the most gorgeous parts of Charleston with the sun setting in the background...like nights with star studded skies and cool breezes. So much beauty and wonder abounded.

Life is slower paced, more casual. People are more tightly knit, a true community. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Clocks and time are superfluous. Instead, decisions are ruled by the weather and tides. I could get used to it. I'd love to try...

2 comments:

  1. Life on a boat. I can totally imagine it...sounds so peaceful. Glad you enjoyed your boat ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED it. Loved loved loved it. We'll be there at least one weekend a month. I'm hoping for more...

    ReplyDelete