Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dreamers at sea


Yeah, I went sailing over the weekend.

It went something like this...

I hit an all-time low, which had me at the doctor for a little pick-me-up. I couldn't find a place to live. I was inconsolable. And all the while Sam tried to console me.

It didn't work...really. I'm here. For now. And I have no idea where I'll be forever. I don't think he knows either. But...for now...we're living together. We are working together. We are moving forward with the sailing dream.

So, when he asked what I wanted to do over the weekend...was it surprising that this dreamer wanted to set sail? I need the water like meat needs salt. And that's why we drove to Charleston. Well, that's part of why. We've still been struggling with what to do about the boat.

The minute I stepped onto the dock...I felt it. Calm. Peace. I was home. The walk to D dock is long. The walk to our slip is even longer. But I mounted the boat with the same grace I mount a horse...not much. And we had our supplies for the weekend moved in within minutes. Thus the relaxing began.

It was about 3pm, still way too hot for it to be truly enjoyable, but it was. We talked about how we wanted the weekend to go, what we hoped to accomplish on the boat. It was a project and a half.

What mattered was that I was able to watch the sunset from the topside of the boat while sipping a margarita. It was a little bit of my dream. We saw so much wildlife in the marshy areas surrounding the docks...blue heron, pelicans, turtles, and crabs of all sizes...too many fish to count. And there were porpoises again, the first day, trailing us to our slip. It was lovely.

We made some new friends. We connected with old friends. We thoroughly enjoyed the peace and quiet...the solitude. I brought my computer in anticipation of accomplishing a bunch of writing, but it wasn't to be. There was too much activity...even though the pace had slowed considerably. Way too slow for me to adjust to. Oh, but I'd love to try.

We swam off the back of the boat. We floated on life preservers. We accomplished some of what was on the list. Did I mention what a long list it was? And we waited and waited and waited for our sailing lesson.

Tomorrow...read about liveaboard life.

2 comments:

  1. Huh. I didn't know you left a comment before we talked today.

    Big hugs, cousin. Love you much!

    ReplyDelete