Saturday, April 16, 2011

So, Sunday


That's when it looks like we'll be having our first sailing lesson. The weather today...while really windy...not great for sailing. And so, we'll be leaving tomorrow morning and heading for Charleston.

We won't be staying over. We'll make a day trip of it. I'm sure we'll be back late. No problem. I'm great at surviving on little sleep. Hey, I didn't say I was pleasant and fun to be around, I just said that I could survive and mostly function.

I'm thinking Sam should drive. I'm thinking that since Sam won't be working on Monday and I will. See where I'm going with this?

So, I guess I should study before I make a total fool of myself on water. I tend to be a pretty fast study. I just need to find time to study. Hmmmm. And I guess that means that I need to get off the computer to accomplish that.

Would anyone have words of advice? What do I really need to know to not make a fool of myself? I only ask this because I don't have a great history of boat related firsts.

The first time I tried to water ski, it went badly. I was fourteen, out with my Jennie and her family. The boat was a speedboat we took out on Lake Champlain. It kept stalling out at the most inopportune moments. I'd be just about up and suddenly find myself doing a face plant in the water when the motor would kick in once more, dragging me behind, sucking in water while everyone screamed for me to let go.

Then there was my first time canoeing. I was trying to get into the canoe, being cautious, stepping in the middle. Only, the kid in the back of the canoe pushed off while I was only halfway in. Suddenly, I found myself doing a split as I tried to decide whether to jump for the boat or the dock. The choice was made for me and I landed in the water.

My concern? I'm thinking sailing is going to be somewhere in the middle. *sigh* Insert words of comfort...here. I'll be eager to tell you all about it one way or another on Monday.

If I make it.

7 comments:

  1. No advice here. The only experience I have with sailing was during an office team building event. We were shown the basics and then had a race. I held on tight to a rope I should have let free and lost my team the race. Fail.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to duck when you tack. Booms leave big bruises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...so let go of the ropes and be sure to duck. I can do that. Yay! I'm gonna be a sailor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *IF* you make it? Oh please! You're going to ROCK it, Nicki the Sailor! It's your destiny. ;) I have total confidence that on Monday or Tuesday I'll be reading all about how much of an awesome sailor you're going to be. Have fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Meredith! I'm going to try. And this time...sunblock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. no advice either, I've never sailed! BUT good luck and have a blast!! Tell us all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to hear the MaryAnn story...

    ReplyDelete