Saturday, April 30, 2011

An unexpected turn of events


I've been pretty sad lately. Really really really sad.

This time last weekend, I was certain my life was over. The life we had planned together was done. The hopes, the dreams, the future...all of it...gone. Simply finished.

Sam had hurt me. I was destroyed. And I wasn't sure I could forgive him. The kids were living with their father. I felt lost and alone.

I wanted to hold onto our dream, dream the dream alone. I still wanted the boat. Our boat. Plan Sea.

Long ago I had given up on the house. We were struggling and behind and every effort we had made to remedy the situation was shut down.

Hope. I needed some hope.

And hope came in some unexpected ways and some strange places.

We've been talking. We've been working on things.

I have always said that we can fix anything that we want to fix, the key is whether or not we want to fix it. He does. I do. If we can.

The trick is laying it all out, every little thing that has been glossed over and swept under the rug. We had to share every thought, feeling, gripe, unfulfilled need. It's easy to do when we have nothing left to lose. And then we have to decide where to go from there. Can he meet my needs? Can I meet his? Is it worth the effort?

We think so. We're taking it slow. We're working on time and patience. There is much to be considered. It's not a decision to make lightly.

But for some reason, once we decided to try, things changed.

His house, our home...it's saved. We're not losing the house. We received a grant. We may still get the loan modified, the payment lowered. We're going to be okay.

The boat, Plan Sea...it's saved. We got our miracle. We spoke to the owner. He likes us. He doesn't want to put the boat back on the market. He's willing to wait for the IRS to come through with my check.

We'll have our boat. We'll have our house. We'll get the future we dreamed of. And it seems like we'll get so much more.

He says he's done being scared. He says that he understands what's important. He's ready to follow through. He's ready to give me everything I want and need. It will take time. I need to be patient. We're still working on a limited budget. It will take some time to catch up, but once we do...everything. My whole dream.

Seems like I got my miracle after all.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Nicki...I don't know what to say...for your sake, I hope this is truly what you want. I support you because you are my friend, but I just really don't want to see you get hurt. You deserve so much more than pain. XO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may only be an online friend and a new one at that, but ditto what Jolene said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... what Jolene said. And more. I always believe in miracles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, well he'd better start telling you that you're beautiful, wonderful, etc. Any less, and I'll shake my fist in his general direction. I might be too far away, but I can put lots of effort into shaking my fist while facing north east!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad the boat worked out, and from what you've said about the current owner I'm not surprised he was willing to work with you. I hope that you get to have all of your dream. Take care not to lose yourself, my dear.

    ReplyDelete