Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Some things I'm not going to miss


I've been thinking about how different life is going to be at sea. And there are some things I'm really looking forward to. There are some aspects of life on land that I'm not going to miss like...


  • cleaning the litter box. We briefly considered Sophie at Sea, but given her inability to roll with things on land, she'd probably have a nervous breakdown on a boat. This cat hid for three weeks in the wet bar when Sam and I moved in together.
  • cleaning a 2000sqft house. It takes me all morning. And I'm not even doing the detail work. This is all the watering of plants, dusting, vacuuming, kitchen and bathrooms. It's a lot of work that I'd much rather spend on more worthwhile pursuits. It won't take much to keep the boat clean at all.
  • scooping poop. Bishop definitely isn't coming. And I won't miss having a yard to scoop on a weekly basis. I don't do it that often. It wasn't supposed to be my job, but every once in a while I break down so that I don't have to walk out there in fear when we decide to have a fire.
  • going grocery shopping daily. It's my least favorite chore. Of course since eating is one of my most favorite activities, I'm going to have to plan much better than I do now. And Sam is going to have to change his eating habits altogether. Wish us luck.
  • my job. I have been there for six years. I need a change, a new challenge. And I've always wanted to work for myself. This is just coming together perfectly. It's going just right. I hope. Fingers crossed!
  • Charlotte. For a city as large as it is in both the number of people and the sprawl, we have a proclivity for running into the people we don't want to see. I need new people. I need new scenery.
  • driving. I hate driving. I was so excited when I got my license at 16 in NY. I loved the freedom. Only as I've aged, it has become something of a chore. I'm always the DD. I'm always the chauffeur. I'm always the one stuck running errands. I hate running errands.
  • television. I barely watch it now. Half the time Sam has it on because I swear he can't stand silence, but I am usually working with the laptop and hardly paying attention. I like quiet. When he's working and I'm home alone, I don't even turn the television on. *sigh*
I'm sure the list will grow. And I'm sure I will work on a secondary list, the list of things I will miss. I know two things that are going to be right at the top...the kids and Bishop.

For now, focusing on the positive.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, sailing off into the sunset sounds so wonderful right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, focus on what you will LOVE about your new adventure, instead!

    ReplyDelete