Monday, November 14, 2011

Dreamers live for quality time

We have been so busy lately.  It seems like we are constantly heading different directions.

Every once in a while it is nice to just slow down for a minute.

That's what we did as a family on Saturday night.  We slowed down.  We spent time together. We enjoyed just being together.

We went and ate dinner at Chick-fil-A.  Now, normally this would have been great.  And I tried to make it as great as possible, but mostly...I was dreaming of Taco Bell.  Shouldn't I be able to claim cravings yet and play up the belly to get my mealtime ways?  Ah, but I was just happy to be with Sam and Keenan.  And if they wanted chicken, I was happy to get the protein.

So that's where we ate.  And I avoided the fries and ate dessert instead.  I love love love their lemon pie.  I swear I had to stop myself from ordering a whole pie.  It's on the menu.  Seriously.

Then we drove to Lonnie and Lindsay's.  We were all going to watch the UFC fight together, enjoy a bonfire, just hang out and relax.  It was mostly like that.

They invited some neighbors over.  They have...interesting neighbors.  That's a polite way of saying that these are not people we would normally hang out with.  Yet, I support their desire to be good neighbors.

In fact, I'm so supportive that I didn't do anything when the crazy lady rubbed my belly...although Sam braced for my reaction.  And I didn't do anything when she slithered over and brushed the ash from his hair and then tried to use him as a leaning post.  All the while he looked at me and waited for me to blow.  I could have blamed it on pregnancy hormones, but yelling at a drunk chick is like shooting fish in a barrel.  There's really no sport in it.  And I don't enjoy it nearly as much when they can't feel my wrath and smart from my sting.  Trust me, she was feeling nothing.

Sam watched everything.  He was on guard.

Sam: Do not let that guy touch you.  And definitely do not let him rub your belly.  I'm looking out for Keenan.

Yes, there was play fighting going on.  That always seems to happen with UFC fights and alcohol.  And his concern is always that someone will inadvertently get hurt.  And when someone was too close to Keenan, they had words.  Sam is super protective of his family.  He watches out for me, but also trusts me to take care of myself.  I like it.  It makes me feel strong and powerful.  I never have to worry because he always has my back.  It's a great feeling...all that love and support.

We left soon after the fight.  The fight was over in minutes.  Actually, the fight was over in less than a minute.  And we were tiring out.  I was tiring out.  Potato...po-tah-toe.

Then at home, we watched a bunch of our DVRed shows together.  It was so nice.  It was so relaxing.  It was no wonder I fell asleep.  I woke up to Sam snuggling me on the couch and Keenan kissing me goodnight.  And that's not such a bad way to wake up before heading off to bed.

Quality time at its finest.

3 comments:

  1. That UFC on Fox was so very disappointing. They added way too much Fox and removed way too much UFC. I can't imagine how someone could be so wasted at that point in the night, but to each his or her own, right? Glad you made it out of there without having any eruptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well they walked in announcing they were drunk and Sam and I just looked at each other. First time we met these people. Is it just me, but I like to make a good first impression. And anyone who doesn't care about the impression they leave...probably not someone I want to be friends with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just another reason why I don't bother to watch the fights...they end too quickly.

    ReplyDelete