Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dreamers share each other's joy and pain

My neighbor, Priscilla, and I have been getting closer.  We have more and more in common.  Like babies.  She is having her third.  Any minute.

In fact, by the time you read this, she may have given birth.

I knew she was overdue.  Two weeks now.  And I can imagine how hard it is being pregnant and uncomfortable forever.  That's what it must feel like.  I wouldn't know.  I always go early.

So, I went to visit her one day last week.  We hung out for an hour or so.  More...so.  And we both enjoyed having an adult to talk to.  It was lovely.

And I've been wondering if she was having the baby or had the baby given certain signs.  There have been many family members around.  I knew they would arrive to stay with the girls while she was having the newest girl.

I sent her the standard "I'm thinking of you" text today and she explained that she was having a stalled labor and was outside walking around, so I joined her.  I timed her contractions without even being asked.  She can't go to the hospital until they are five minutes apart.  And I was really optimistic when they started at six minutes, but then they were sporadic...nine, twelve, and finally back to eleven.

It was interesting being on that side of things.  I was so glad I was able to distract her some, be there for her, and support her in little ways.  She's a really good person.  She's a really good mom.  And she's been a fantastic neighbor.

Sam and I were talking just the other day.  He and her husband tend to be...alpha males.  They get along and they butt heads here and there.  So be it.  It doesn't impede my relationship with Priscilla.

Sam: I kind of see us getting closer to them.  Who knew they'd be the ones we had the most in common with?

Oh, but I did.  With the dates of the kid's births, they will be going to school together.  They will be growing up together.  And we're bound to be spending more time together.

It's nice to have things to look forward to and nice people to share them with.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a nice thing to do for your friend. She must have really appreciated that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, she did. We walked and walked. And she used me as a brace every time she had a contraction. It brought back a lot of memories. I'm hoping for a better birth experience this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Stalled labors really do suck. I unfortunately know all about that. It's good that you were there to help distract her because sometimes it's very helpful to be distracted from the frustration that comes with a stalled labor. I hope by now she's had the baby. I also agree that I hope you get to enjoy a better birth experience this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really is so great to find someone like that. I have a girlfriend who was pregnant BOTH times I was. And we both had 2 girls. And our girls are BFF's all this time later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww! T, I love that. I hope our girls are. Sam and her husband, James, spoke today about it. I think I smell change. Yay!

    ReplyDelete