Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dreamers often wonder what the future holds...

And I am one of them.

Of course, today is super special.  Today is Keenan's birthday.  The boy turns 14 today.

I'm so excited about marking this milestone in his life.  He is growing so quickly.  He already towers over me.  He's getting stronger...and the pull up bar helps.

I love discovering all his new quirks.  I love seeing what he is getting into next.  I love our conversations as a a family.

Yes, Keenan will come out of his cave and hang out with us in the living room here and there.  And when he does, he's sure to talk to us about something he's been ruminating on for quite some time.

Just the other night, he was asking about getting a calendar for tracking his workouts.  Interesting.  And we discussed his birthday plans.  Looks like it will be a guys night.  He wants to see a movie with some friends, get some pizza, eat some cake, and then pull a video game all nighter with them.  I can live with that. 

Of course, I can't help but wonder what the future holds for Keenan.  He has some changes coming.  He's about to be a big brother.  As loving as he is, as considerate as he is, I'm sure he'll be awesome.  He will be much adored.  And he'll even probably be at least a little annoyed with it all...understandably.

All I know is that Keenan has so much promise, such a big bright beautiful future ahead.  I'm so glad I'm a part of it.  I'm so glad I've been able to shape his life thus far.  And I'm so proud of the man he's becoming.

He asked me once, years ago, if I thought he'd make a good husband and father one day.  I did then.  I still do.  Just don't rush it, kid.  Be smart like step-Sam.  Wait for the right woman to come along, the one that changes everything, the one you can't live without.  You have plenty of time to make all your dreams come true.

2 comments:

  1. Considering his precarious beginning, I'd say he's got a world of possibilities within his reach.

    ReplyDelete