Friday, November 4, 2011

Dreamers struggle with family relations

And I don't think this makes us unique.  From what I hear, everyone has challenges in that department.  I think it's all a matter of how we respond and react to those situations.

All I know is that the other night, I had a mini-meltdown.

It was Wednesday, the night before Keenan's birthday.  I had become some kind of cooking fool.  The night before I had made a bunch of Parmesan crusted chicken tenders and Sam's favorite mac and cheese.  Then Wednesday I made beef stew in a crock pot and bread in a bread machine and a spice cake with cream cheese frosting.  I was quite the Suzy homemaker.

Keenan had asked if we could all have a family night, watch a movie together.  And since it is so rare that he ever asks for anything, I really wanted to oblige.

Sam had to go leave to run an errand, stop by the gas station, return a trim gun he borrowed, and I had asked that he stop by his friend's house and borrow a few movies.  I imagined it would take maybe forty minutes.  Oh, but I forgot to factor in Sam time.  As quiet and reserved as he can be, the man can talk.  And he had plenty going on to talk about.  So, as it pushed into an hour and twenty minutes, I decided to take Keenan to Target to look at video games.  He had pretty much headed back to his room thinking that the movie wasn't going to happen.

We passed Sam as we were heading down the road.  He didn't notice, focused instead on getting home.  And within minutes my phone rang.  He hates hearing me upset.  He worries that it will hurt the baby.  Oh, but I can never hide anything from him.  So, I tried to explain the situation and that we'd be home soon.

Keenan looked at me and I know he wanted an explanantion.

me: I can't lose you, too.  I don't know what happened with Rachel.

And I burst into tears.  Stupid hormones.

Keenan: Mom, you won't.  Rachel just wanted to grow up too fast.

He hugged me and we went home.

Sam was in the bedroom when I returned.  He closed the door and looked at me.

Sam: Babe?  You losing it?

And I wanted to explain, but I didn't have to.  He already knew.

Sam: You're afraid of losing Keenan, too.  You won't.  He's nothing like Rachel.

He wrapped me in one of his magical hugs and we went to spend the rest of the night with the boy.  We watched Scream 4.  Funny, he wasn't worried about that hurting the baby.

Everything was healed.  Communication.  Love.  Understanding.  Listening.  These are the keys to family relationships.  And maybe throw in more than a smattering of patience.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that things worked out for you. We too over here have a lot of healing to do in our small family.

    ReplyDelete