Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dreamers draw on their super powers

I am used to going from being flush to being broke.  The bulk of my memories of growing up involve my mother raising us two girls on her own after my father passed away.  Money was tight.  I learned to budget and make do at a young age.

And honestly, I think everyone should have to.

Growing up too well off, having too much can lead to a false sense of security.  It leads people to believe that they are invincible and nothing bad can happen to them.  It makes them less able to deal with reality and hardships when they occur.  Or maybe this is what I have learned from those I have seen.  Could be skewed.  I'm just saying...

All I know is that my entire life prepared me for my marriage to Sam.  We have plenty of money.  Then we are broke.  Such is the life of the contractor.  And I'm fine with it.  I'm used to it.  I don't mind it.  I actually rather thrive on the challenge.

I'm even used to Sam's dark moods when he is without work for too long.  It used to bother me.  It used to really affect me and make me sad, too.

Now...I handle it better.

Sam: I hate my life.  I want to die.

me: Okay, but before you die, could we finish this estimate?

Sam: Why not?

And then he gave me his fake smile.  And I laughed at him.  I think it kind of surprised him.  He smiled back, genuinely this time.

We started watching Two and a Half Men.  It's a good distraction.  And as good as he was to me the night before when I needed him, I was thrilled to reciprocate.  Soon we were joking and talking and planning the rest of our week.

There's something about having an unbreakable spirit that can be contagious.  And maybe mine isn't unbreakable, but it's at least remarkably resilient.  That's my super power...my super spirit.  And I try to only use it for good.

What's your super power?

2 comments:

  1. Apparently, I'm a pillar of strength, even when I don't want to be. I have cracks in my foundation, but I'm working to fill them.

    Incidentally, it would seem our respective DHs have a bit more in common than I previously thought. Seriously? They definitely both operating from a similar mindset. Good for them both that they have us to keep them tied to reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My super power it the ability to eat endless mounds of chocolate. J/K!!!

    Really now, each day I find a bit of time to do something totally selfish just for me to perk up my moods. Its necessary with such a stressful environment.

    ReplyDelete