Monday, October 17, 2011

Dreamers problem solve in unlikely ways

Yes, if nothing else we are dreamers.  And I have been known for my problem solving skills...forever.  Give me a problem and, generally, I can find a solution.  So, it was really getting to me that I couldn't find a buyer for the sailboat.

It seems that the de-masting over Fourth of July weekend make us both a little sailboat shy.  We had to rethink our sailing the Caribbean dreams.  It would have been nice, but as much as we like to live our lives on the edge, the edge of life and death is a little more than we are comfortable with.

And so as much as it pained me, we had to sell the boat.  We had to find new dreams.  We had to move in a new direction.  We're good at that.

Ah, but here it is October.  For three months I struggled to get the boat repaired, to find a buyer, to lose the albatross some way some how.  The slip fees continued even though the sailing had ceased.  And while we did get to spend another lovely weekend on it while we secured it for a hurricane, it wasn't the same.

Just as I handle most of our challenges, I turned to my buddy Craig.  I put up yet another post about the boat.  This time, just like the last few times, I laid out the situation.  I mentioned we would be willing to sell or trade for a power boat of some kind.  This green living, smaller carbon footprint stuff could be the death of us.  And I closed with an explanation that we were three hours away...contact us only if you're serious.

Then I gave up.

Well, last week, out of nowhere, we had two responses.  Yup.  TWO!  So, we decided to head down to Charleston, hopefully, for one last time.

We left at the butt crack of dawn.  And we started showing the boat at 10am.  I feared it was going to be another bust.  Instead, we made a deal.  We came to an agreement with the second buyer.

He took our boat off our hands.  We...took all three off of his.  I know.  Don't get me started.  It was an unconventional trade.  We only wanted the pontoon boat.  We have lots of fun on those floating platforms.  Instead, we also ended up a 14 foot sunfish and its trailer and a 16 foot hobie cat and its trailer.

Sam asked: Nicki, do you think you can sell the other two boats so we can recoup some of our money?

me: Baby, I just sold a sailboat with a broken mast and unintentional skylight.  I got this.

Come back tomorrow to read about how dreamers handle a challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely think you can sell them both. You're resourceful like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you aren't going to keep the extra toys?

    ReplyDelete