Monday, October 3, 2011

Dreamers plan on the fly

And it's a good thing, too.

This dreamer had her heart set on going to the Renaissance Festival this weekend.  Then we hit a snafoo.  We were in the car, all ready.  It was no small feat, since Sam hadn't had a chance to sleep in for over ten days.  And I was on the phone with his dad.

me: We're headed to the festival, but would you like to get dinner together tonight?  I'm serious.

I have to tell him that, otherwise he doesn't take me seriously.  I had suggested we get together when we were over at his house picking up ladders Thursday night.  Vicki was out of town and I hated the thought of him dining alone when he could be hanging out with us.  He had called Sam from the restaurant where he was picking up his dinner Friday night.

Dad: Was Nicki serious when she mentioned dinner?

Sam: Nicki is always serious when it comes to food.

That made me laugh.  He's right.  Food is one of the many things in life that I take very seriously.  We don't mess with my meals.

So we made plans for Saturday night.  Only then dad broke my heart.  And made me feel ridiculous.

Dad: You do know that the festival doesn't start until next weekend, right?

me: No?

I checked my ticket and sure enough...next weekend.  Dammit.  And here I was the wicked witch of the south who had hauled her exhausted husband out of bed under the premise that we were going to get turkey legs and throw battle axes.  Guess which one I had my heart set on?  Yeah, I had picked out other festival food, as well.  I had a plan.

Only I didn't count on getting my days all discombobulated.  Dadgumit.

So, Sam and I ran to complete a repair for a customer.  The roofers knocked off a piece of siding when they were working and Sam was called in by another company to fix their mistake.  Who couldn't use some good money for a fifteen minute job?

And we went to Lowe's.  Sam's holiday is, without a doubt, Halloween.  We were picking up some decorations.  We have this entire scene planned out for the front lawn.

Once we returned home, we worked on it some.  And we took a much needed nap.  Seriously.  We fell asleep all tangled up like puppies in a pile and stayed that way until the phone woke us.

We ate dinner with Dad at out house.  And we had an amazing relaxing evening.  We love our plans, but sometimes life is even better on the fly.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! Well, at least you've got plans for this coming weekend now, right? ;) And you made the most of your weekend, too, it sounds like.

    ReplyDelete